Federal my Mom wants to sell it. I"m looking for information, what its worth, can it convert wood to coal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shermiss

Oct 17, 2022
Florida
Hi

image_pinterest_crop (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe $150?

Reactions: shermiss
I think you mean can I convert coal to wood.

This is primarily a coal stove. You “can” burn wood in any coal stove, just not efficiently.

Start the wood fire with bottom intake partially open so the fire gets plenty of oxygen up through it. It will light easily and burn far too fast. Close the bottom intake and only use the top with wood. When reloading, open bottom as well to kick it up quickly. When established, only use upper air. If you need more heat or it smokes, only crack the bottom open slightly. All chimney systems draft differently, so results vary. Wood does not need near as much air as coal and will burn fast and too hot opening the bottom intake too much.

If there is a barometric damper installed for coal use, remove it for wood.

Unfortunately, this is worth about the $20 you get get at the scrap yard. Its a terrible stove with a worse reputation. The doors are poorly made, the screw drafts like to rot out and just fall off. Or they rust to the point where they just stop working completely.

You will find Federal Stoves for free all over New England. Less and less each year though as they are all moved to scrap or left to rot in basements.