Feedback on Kuma Sequoia wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Let me start out by saying I love the KUMA Sequoia. I know if you are like me you read the first sentence of something when looking for a review so I wanted to put that out there first. Now, we are going with honesty here right???? Isn't that what feedback is used for, for other customers and the company so they can improve. So, I bought the Sequoia came in great condition with all parts, which is always a plus. First thought was its a beast of a stove and very well built. Now when it came to the operation of the stove the owners manual was a little confusing and actually had some contradictions within its self on how to operate it. I called and spoke with both Jason and Mark multiple times in regards to operating the stove (first time with a cat stove). I fought it all year, I had a problem with my CAT not getting as hot as what most people could and keeping it that way. I would get my stove rocking, single wall chimney pipe glowing red, and the CAT would just then start to get to around 1000. It was so hot it was hard to stand in front of to close the door and CAT still wasn't at 1200 like some people said to get it at before closing it up. I actually believe I ruined my CAT the first year by over firing it and it started to crumble. When running it on low it seemed it wasn't heating well and the CAT was getting cold fairly quick. House always had the furnace kicking on because the stove wasn't keeping up. Bought a new CAT thermostat (which wasn't the problem just FYI) and had the CAT replaced by the CAT manufacturer this year. DONT STOP READING HERE READ THE REST!!!!!!!

I decided this year not to worry about what the thermostat said and just close the bypass once the CAT was around 600. World of difference this year in a good way. It is working and burning efficient, the house is staying warm we are hardly loading the stove when its in the 30s outside we load in the morning and in the evening and the house is pretty steady around 72-75 UPSTAIRS. The stove is in the BASEMENT, house is total with basement 2900sqft. The blower on the stove (which is a must IMO) made a huge difference. The stoves blower in thermostat mode will continue running for 12-13 hours after load, which means the stove is still warm and putting off heat!!! I do find that if I run the stove as low as it goes sometimes all the wood doesn't burn all the way its charred and burned down but not burned up completely if that makes sense that of course if after about 8 hours or so, and the Cat will drop to 300-400 its still putting off heat though. So I usually leave the air handle at a minimum of 1/4 open which still give me a good 10-12 hours of heat. Its been in single digits where I live at night and only in the teens this week during the day, I've been running the stove at 3/4 open most of the time and the house is staying 70-72. As far as wood consumption on the mild days hardly any, it's truly amazing.

I am not sure if I had a bad CAT ( I think partly I did) or just a bad operator!! Either way huge difference this year and I love it! I have read on forums that some companies are talking about not putting numbers on the thermostats and just putting "active" or "not" on the thermostat, I think that would be a lot better. The other thing I would change if I could is I would put notches on the air handle so you can tell if you are half, 3/4, 1/4 of the way open.

As far as help and support you couldn't ask for more and better help, what company employee will give you his personal cell number to help you?????? Jason, Mark, and the whole team have been patient and great with me!!! I know they have made changes to the owners manual and are always willing to listen to ideas. It is an extremely well built stove, that does a great job doing what its suppose to, with great customer service, and AMERICAN MADE!!! Not sure what else you could ask for.

Reactions: heavy hammer
1987blazer good to see another Sequoia owner. I', on my fourth year with mine and I love it a true heat machine. Every year you will figure it out a little more but it is a fairly easy stove to run. Where did you put yours? (basement or main floor) How many sq feet are you heating etc. Any question you have this is the place to ask them and Kuma has a great customer service as well.

Its installed on the main floor. We have just over 2000sq foot log home.
received_2564080550353111.jpeg

So in looking around the web site it looks like the Sequoia model will no longer be offered. Why did the company discontinue the biggest stove ?
Manufacturers had to redesign all their stoves for the new 2020 regulations. Big stoves don’t test well, so either it didn’t pass, and they will redesign it as time and money allows. Or they’ve decided it’s not worth it.

1987blazer nice looking stove. I don't think you will be disappointed. Keep updates on how things go. Like I said earlier good to see another Sequoia owner.

We have had a couple good fires going so far. Can't believe how much heat this gives off. The only issue so far is trying to keep the glass clean. I have two different stove top temperature gauges just trying to find out which one is the most accurate one usually reads around 500 to 600, the other barely get to 400. Still learning where to have the air control. I leave it open for 20 to 30 minutes after reload then slowly close it down to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch out. I'm getting 5 to 6 hour burn time with Douglas fur. My temp gauge for the cat doesn't have numbers so not sure how hot it's getting just has the inactive/active, usually running it toward the high side of active. Any tips would be appreciated. I know it will take me some seasons to get it right.

Reactions: heavy hammer
The glass will almost always stay dirty. I have spoke with Kuma about this. I thought I was burning wrong but I was told this is normal for the sequoia. I have the older model temp gauge that still shows temps, but it seems like you are getting it. The optimal burn is in the active. I have not seen temps above 1200 on mine. I usually burn around 800 to 1000. Which means about the middle of the active. Dry wood is about it, try north south loading compared to east west. I have larger splits or rounds for longer burn times. II have seen 16 plus burns. 12 hours is not a problem but I have much different wood than you. I have seen 6 to 8 hours on just cedar splits. Outside temps and desired heat for the house vary as well but I think you are getting the hang of it.

I've been burning north south, guess I'll try east west and see how that does. I thought maybe my wood still had high moisture but I've checked fresh split at room temperature and its 16 to 18%.

The glass being dirty is just something you learn to live with. My first year burning it I drove my self crazy always cleaning it. After speaking with Kuma I learned to deal with it. The glass cleans up a little while burning before the bypass plate is engaged, but once that plate is pushed in my glass is almost always dirty. Sometimes while burning some locust I have that is very seasoned I will get a spot in the glass that has a area that is a little better but still dirty. I wish they just made a solid metal door like the old stoves. I have even asked for this since it seems you use the temp gauges for everything not how the fire looks to be burning.