Kuma freestanding stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jparker

Oct 17, 2019
PNW
I have found quite a few posts on the Kuma inserts but not to many posts on their standalone woodstoves. Does anyone have any feedback on the Aspen LE model?

The Kuma LE models are new for 2020. I don't know what changes they made to the Aspen LE to qualify. The prior Aspen was a conventional, medium-small, non-cat stove. I like that it had a more square firebox that can be loaded N/S with 16" splits. In general Kuma is a smaller company that provides good, personal service.

The Kuma LE models are new for 2020. I don't know what changes they made to the Aspen LE to qualify. The prior Aspen was a conventional, medium-small, non-cat stove. I like that it had a more square firebox that can be loaded N/S with 16" splits. In general Kuma is a smaller company that provides good, personal service.

The Aspen (LE) now uses a HYBRID burn system. It has a traditional style burn tube baffle to do most of the work and then a metal catalytic combustor to finish the job. We use the same HYBRID burn system in all 8 of our new models. While the new burn system is little more than the combination of our prior stove designs, it was built from the ground up to be durable and easily serviceable. The catalytic has a 12-year warranty.

The K-180 series, which includes the Aspen LE, will still take a 16" piece of wood N/S. Early reports are coming in that the stove, with a 1.8 ft3 firebox is producing an easy 9-10 hours of burn time.

As of today, the Kuma K-180 series has the highest efficiency and the lowest emissions of any CORDWOOD tested wood stove/insert.
EPA List... https://tinyurl.com/u9mx7d5

Reactions: Skinne77
Thanks for filling in the details Jason. I'm looking forward to hearing more about these stoves. The K-250 series looks interesting too. How is progress going on a Sequoia update?

Highbeam, That's one way to see it! There was certainly more consideration to it than that but we were definitely thinking of our friends in SE Washington.

begreen, There is currently no time frame on bringing the Sequoia back to the line-up. We certainly would like to but right now we're more focused on supporting the new 180 and 250 lines. Likely, the next stove to arrive from Kuma is going to be something smaller, maybe in the 1.2 -1.3 ft3 range.

Are you guys planing on replacing the Sequoia with another model around the same size? What was the reason for discontinuing the Sequoia? JParker I do not have the model stove you are inquiring about, but I have a free standing Sequoia in my basement and I have had nothing but great success and love my stove. It is to bad they are doing away with it, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Any ways I'm very happy with my stove Kuma is a great company and very customer friendly. The stove puts out a ton of heat and is very good on wood consumption.

Heavy Hammer,

The Sequoia, along with all of our previous stove models, was "discontinued" since it would not meet the new EPA standard that's effective after May 15, 2020.

Discontinued is probably not the best description of what had to happen with our entire stove line. In the absence of the new regulation, we probably would have kept all of our models as they were since they all had a very proven track record.

As it is, we had to bring new Low Emission (LE) models to market to replace the units that would not be legal for sale after the deadline.

The reason that the Sequoia didn't come along in this first wave of LE models is simply because we decided to focus on the firebox sizes that make up the bulk of our unit shipments.

We hope to bring the Sequoia back in the future but we don't have a timeline. When it comes back may depend on how much we miss it.

As for support for that product and all previous models, we plan to offer replacement parts and customer support indefinitely. We see no reason to ever sunset support for our previous generation of stoves and inserts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: heavy hammer
I completely understand. I'm sure the EPA regulations make it hard. For what it is worth I love the stove. I plan on having many years of burning with this awesome stove. Jason thanks for the update I appreciate it.