Feeling Good About The Timberwolf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

great balls of fire

Feb 2, 2013
East Fishkill, NY
I just purchased the Timberwolf insert, and I'm very excited. I have a question on the installation. The specs say that any rise over 15 ft I need a 4 in flex pipe, but the dealer says a 3 in would be adequate, and that the 4 in might cause a down draft. What should I do!? And thanks in advance, for the great advice on this forum!
-Rob :)

I just purchased the Timberwolf insert, and I'm very excited. I have a question on the installation. The specs say that any rise over 15 ft I need a 4 in flex pipe, but the dealer says a 3 in would be adequate, and that the 4 in might cause a down draft. What should I do!? And thanks in advance, for the great advice on this forum!
-Rob :)

The specs by the manufacturer of the stove or the pipe over-rule the dealer's "adequate comment" I know there have been previous posts about going to 4" due to length of pipe. Others more knowledgeable than I will chime in... my stove just has a 3" horizontal run straight out.

I hope you are planning on installing an OAK (outside air kit). I would plan on installing that now rather than find out you need it afterward. New construction is air-tight and has other appliances using inside air; older construction allows cold air to be sucked into the home making it feel drafty. Cold air directly from outside also allows the warm inside air to stay in...my 2 cents...

..... The specs say that any rise over 15 ft I need a 4 in flex pipe, but the dealer says a 3 in would be adequate, and that the 4 in might cause a down draft.....

Whatever you do, NEVER listen to the manufacturer....what the heck do they know? The dealer is the person who designed, tested, and built the stove, right? <add large dose of sarcasm here>

I think you already know who to listen to.

I think they may have it mixed up?

They may be thinking 15EVL? With a 90* (most inserts don't need a 90*, because there top vent, but I am adding for worst case scenario) and 15' of vertical, your at 12.5' EVL which is fine for 3". Almost every stove made has a 15' EVL limit. Not 15' run??

What's the manual say? Looking it up now...

Edit: just read manual?!?! Says a 15' vertical rise. So even if doesn't have a 90*, and its straight up (7.5' EVL) that it needs 4" vent? Never seen this before. I have read prob 3-5 dozen stove manuals.

Thanks for the quick responses. Lake girl i am not adding an outside air kit because this paticular insert does not have a sealed back.the whole back of the stove is open.It does have a 2''by 4''pipe at the bottom of the stove which is basicly useless considering there is no sealed box.You can see all the parts thru the back of the stove.I would also have to run 25ft of 2'' to the top of chimney it seems ridiculous to run just for atmosphere presure when the box is not seled.I don't have a cleanout close by.imacman i was thinking the same thing.Dexterday it says use 4in diameter vent if a vent or liner height is over 15' or if installation is over 4000' above sea level. Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.