Felling Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
All three pictures are the same tree. In picture two would you clean up the backside then notch your front then make your back cut at the height I have marked?

zap

Attachments

• 100_4325.jpg
    100_4325.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 411
  • 100_4326-1.jpg
    100_4326-1.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 408
  • 100_4327.jpg
    100_4327.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 367
Sounds good to me Zap, but then again I've been known to do some really dumb things. :shut:

Looks to me like you want to drop the tree in the direction it is leaning, that's a good start. But, if the crotch between the tree on the left and the tree on the right is as close as it looks you may need to notch (left side) and back cut higher up. You can come back and take the final 20" round out with a flat/straight cut, may need to have a wedge on hand.

If what I say doesn't make sense, ignore. I have had good luck dropping trees where I want them, but it may have all been luck.

It's only getting worse so next weekend it will come down. How much snow did you get in your area?

zap

Zap what do you do up there you are always cutting down some tree? You a park ranger or something?

Weekend warrior, just grabbing the trees that are in bad shape or down. The wife wants a small cabin so this spring/summer I'll be milling the wood for part of it, thats why I'm grabbing all the firewood I can before we get snowed out of the woods.

I always try and cut just over three cord in the summer, I should have half of that since winter started and the the other half is down in tree form in the woods.

zap

Sounds like a plan Zap. Be careful that one has barber chair written all over it.

rdust said:
Sounds like a plan Zap. Be careful that one has barber chair written all over it.

Yep, heavy lean.

zap

in Detroit they call that a "Gansta Lean" but at least you know where it is going. There is something really cool about felling a tree but dog gone it can be precarious at times.

I would make a small notch just above the point where that short piece is facing you, ( cut that off first also) and then just plunge the saw into the backside between the main tree and that sliver sticking up. Shouldn't take a hell of lot to bring it down its got a pretty good lean to it. And clear out that snag on the ground so you don't trip as you move away after the cut

Kinda looks like old skidding damage? I hate those on the inside of the turns. I would probably do something real smart like sit in the bucket of the tractor and cut it well above the damage.

Zap, you have it right assuming the height is right. Those things are pretty simple to fell.

Status
Not open for further replies.