Figuring out R-value of manufactured hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mrbreeze742

Dec 21, 2018
Maryland
Found a pad that I like on Craigslist. It is Flagstone, 1.5" thick. I have a jotul which requires R value of 1.1 I believe and there's no specs or brand name whatsoever on this pad. I haven't seen it in person yet as its an hour and a half away.

First thought, would a manufactured pad have a higher R value than flagstone itself? I was thinking of stacking cement board underneath it, but then the seller said the bottom appeared to be particle board, but wasn't sure. She sent me a pic of the base, and It's hard to tell whether its wood or something synthetic. Seems hard to believe a commercial hearth pad wood have a wood base! Sorry for the ramble! Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 00303_ittxcFM8TWi_600x450.jpg
    00303_ittxcFM8TWi_600x450.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 01717_lJC7C3mFaxG_600x450.jpg
    01717_lJC7C3mFaxG_600x450.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 205
The bottom looks like particle board. Is there any brand name or other labeling visible on the bottom? There would need to be a layer of micore inside in order to raise the R value enough to qualify. If not, this is an ember protection only hearth pad.