File life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems the better you get the longer they will last. When I first started filing it seem like I would go through a file on just a few chains. Now it seems they last quite awhile dozen or so.

Reactions: Nixon and Thistle
Longer when you dont hit any rocks,embedded chain link,large spikes or other debris with the saw chain. I hit some hidden fence wire in a walnut stump last Fall,took quite a few sharpenings before all the teeth were back to normal again.I used Oregon files for many years,switched to Woodland Pro (made by Carlton I think) in late 2011,cost was a bit less for even better quality/longer life.Buying them in a box of 12 is much cheaper too.

Reactions: smokinj
Keep them clean, (I spray with starting fluid to clean them, out doors ;) )
Only make chain contact when pushing forward, don't drag it back thru the cutter.
Should out last a few chains.
Good one should last a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.