Finally, an Etruck!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlbergSteve

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2017
n
Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Gross, that looks like something an elementary kid cut out of a cardboard box for a science fair project.

I find it funny that it has an AWD option, I didn't know they even made trucks without 4x4 anymore.

He will probably sell all he makes, which is a few dozen. Why does it have to look like a spaceship because its electric drive. This design is as bullet proof as the windows. Make it look like a pickup, perform like a Ferrari and cost of fuel per mile of a prius and he will have a winning combination.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful and kenora
This will probably go down as the worlds ugliest truck. It actually makes the Rivian look good (which is a real product.) Definitely a weekend warriormobile. If Ford can come up with an electric F150 with decent range that has a 6 or 8ft bed it should be leagues ahead of this boy toy.

Yeah, Ford will make it look, and act like a pickup which will be needed for market acceptance.

It will be real interesting to see what this does for fleet cost per mile figures.

Reactions: bholler
The vast majority of people driving trucks really don't need a truck
Possibly to tow a camper twice a year. Which is why they are fine with a 4-5 ft box. Rest of the year it doesnt make much economic sense.

A 16yo backed into my coworkers truck. The insurance company gave him a new F150 Lariat to drive. Double cab, really short bed, etc. He went to put a ladder in it... nope, lol.

Dang thing looks like a life sized Pinewood Derby project!
I'm sure y'all already know about the Workhorse truck...

Not sure it is in production yet though...

The looks and capabilities are right there with a half ton truck. Need to work on that 80 miles though. If towing 5000lbs, that may shrink down to 20 miles under the battery! Throw in a mountain or two, winter weather that needs a heater...

I'm not sure a 3cyl engine will cut it as backup directly hooked to the wheels. Maybe it would do it hooked to a generator such as trains have.

My newish work truck, 16 Ram 1500, 5.7L, gets up to 20mpg average unloaded. I was pleasantly surprised to find that. Throw a ~3000lb 16+2 v nose on the back and you get 8-10 average in the mountains. Cut out overdrive gears and scrub cylinder shutoff and you have the same towing mpg as a 20yo truck.

I wonder if that front crumple zone under the hood is a trunk like the old VW beetle had. That could be awesome if a feature.

Last edited:
This just does not look like a practical truck. In a hot climate the non-stop glass could be an oven. Now imagine a roof or ladder rack somehow affixed to the pinhead roof. The short bed doesn't help. So far this just looks like a computer exercise for a geek's boy toy. On the plus side, the angular design may help with radar avoidance with some special body paint.

76995867_10158908078502506_4788142026774282240_o.jpg

Last edited:
This just does not look like a practical truck. In a hot climate the non-stop glass could be an oven. Now imagine a roof or ladder rack somehow affixed to the pinhead roof. The short bed doesn't help. So far this just looks like a computer exercise for a geek's boy toy. On the plus side, the angular design may help with radar avoidance with some special body paint.

View attachment 252154
Yea thats what i thought ,this must be radar invisible ,looks like a stealth fighter morphed into a pickup truck.

Reactions: Ashful
I believe I read it’s a 6.5ft bed and the ugly look is because the body is the frame. 30x cold pressed steel..... 3500lb of payload, 15k towing capacity and the sport performance, may be ugly but those performance numbers are hard to turn away from. ‍♂️. Maybe it’s a sign of me getting old but i dont know care what certain things look like anymore as long as it functions and performs well..... vehicles to me have turned into point a to point b, and more specifically a truck for me has turned into hauling various items and equipment from point a to point b.

this truck may be extremely ugly but my dirty, rusty dented up pickup is no head turner itself.

If it runs out of battery with all that payload in the back or towing that trailer, it's going to take a long time to get to point B.

I think battery performance when actually doing work will be the make or break with the commercial or working truck markets.

I believe I read it’s a 6.5ft bed and the ugly look is because the body is the frame. 30x cold pressed steel..... 3500lb of payload, 15k towing capacity and the sport performance, may be ugly but those performance numbers are hard to turn away from. ‍♂. Maybe it’s a sign of me getting old but i dont know care what certain things look like anymore as long as it functions and performs well..... vehicles to me have turned into point a to point b, and more specifically a truck for me has turned into hauling various items and equipment from point a to point b.

this truck may be extremely ugly but my dirty, rusty dented up pickup is no head turner itself.
Too early to say how it will fair. There will be a lot of changes in bringing it into production. This prototype is filled with features that may or may not make it into the actual vehicle which is at least 2 years off. In the meantime Rivian and Ford are promising to have their trucks for sale before then. Their specs aren't shabby. I have only seen one prototype demo for the F150 and it looked conventional.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Their specs aren't shabby. I have only seen one prototype demo for the F150 and it looked conventional.
Now that is a good looking plus a capable truck. I doubt i would consider anything coming from tesla. Just the fact that you cant service anything yourself is a big put off. No service centers anywhere close. I think GM, Ford and Dodge will more than fill the void in E-trucks soon. And with a more transparent pricing structure as well. We should be seeing something soon for the F150 Hybrid for the 2020 model year. Nice thing about the Hybrid,like the volt ,no range anxiety.

220px-Rail_Jeep_with_flatbed_trailer.jpg

It's more impressive with a 60hp WWII vintage jeep.
LOL, a lot less weight there. Seems that some Ford did that on rails years ago too, but with a heavier load. Smokey! I like the electric better. Quiet, strong and clean pulling 10x the load. Of course, this is just a promo piece.

Last edited: