Finally, an Etruck!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks are terrible on it. The one thing on this the rest of the auto industry could learn from is making a truck with stainless steel body panels. Great idea to avoid the rust issues so many have with their trucks. Also you can just wrap it I guess so it doesn't look so ugly(I like it but I have 2 Silver Vehicles too..)

Rust is still a big problem after all these years. I was shocked while looking for a newer work truck, at the amount of rust on late models trucks of all makes. SS is too heavy, and too expensive IMO. There are better options. Some form of Carbon Fibre will probably eventually come out on top.

Reactions: SpaceBus
So I put a $100 deposit down on it, because... Why not... Cheap to get in to at least see what updates come out. I hope they don't use the steering wheel that they had on the prototype, because that will be damn near impossible to drive like that. Second, I'm hoping for conventional side mirrors. Third, I hope they smooth out a little bit of the front of the vehicle. I think they could do that.

Lighting will change as it currently doesn't conform to rules and regs regarding tail lights in non-fixed positions.

I think you have to think about it this way. Tesla came out specifically to create a new truck and not something that looks like a conventional truck. He was correct, that trucks have been the same general design for 100 years. Would I have appreciated something along those lines, from a design perspective... Yeah I think so, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind a truck that handles great, is quiet, capable, and honestly, I can accidentally knock something into it without fear of denting it.

Lastly, this is not going to be a truck that is aiming to replace commercial operation trucks that are dedicated long-haul towing vehicles. This is squarely aimed at the mass majority of consumers who purchase trucks in America. Sales surveys don't lie. The majority of truck buyers today, use it #1 as a commuter vehicle/family vehicle. The average truck buyer is not towing regularly, and if they are its not a long distance. They are also not driving them long distances (300+ miles per day)

This is going to sell very well unless of course Ford can come up with their e-F150 that is on par for the same amount of money... Somehow, I don't see that being possible, unless Rivian is the one who creates and implements their electric skateboard for them. This will be fun to see how it shakes out in the next few years.

If they (tesla) are using SS and making it thick enough so it wont dent, that would be a tremendous amount of weight. Better to make the SS thin and ,laminate a lighter material under it to make it dent resistant.

I think form follows function. Theres a reason the jeep wrangler looks so much like the original version that Ford and Willys produced. It was a great design for what it was used for.

Pickup trucks are the same way. Great designs dont need to change much.

Gross, that looks like something an elementary kid cut out of a cardboard box for a science fair project.

I find it funny that it has an AWD option, I didn't know they even made trucks without 4x4 anymore.
I have a 2-wheel drive Tundra. I use it. Hauling kayak trailers for my business. I dont think the Tesla would work for me. Can you attach a kayak rack?

It looks like a truck for people who don't need a truck. Of which there are many. Still I don't believe the pre-order figure. Maybe Elon brought 50,000 the way Donnie Jr. bought his own memoir to cover the fact the public want interested.

Yes, lots of 2WD trucks are still sold.

220px-Rail_Jeep_with_flatbed_trailer.jpg

It's more impressive with a 60hp WWII vintage jeep.
You can do anything with enough gear reduction. I would also say that 60 HP is very generous.

Reactions: Ashful
You can do anything with enough gear reduction. I would also say that 60 HP is very generous.
Correct ,it only takes 30 HP to pull a 70 ton train 20MPH on level track. Could do it with a riding mower. Going uphill is another story altogether.

You guys are making my point that the Tesla doing the same isn't as impressive as it sounds.

The vast majority of people driving trucks really don't need a truck

Just saw this the other day. https://www.thedrive.com/news/26907/you-dont-need-a-full-size-pickup-truck-you-need-a-cowboy-costume

According to Edwards’ data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less. And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, its ostensible raison d’être—once a year or less.

And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, its ostensible raison d’être—once a year or less.
This is the segment that dont need a truck. This situation would change drastically if gas prices were higher. But anything under $3 or even $4 a gallon and it just dont pay those of us who really do need a truck on a daily basis ,to buy an additional vehicle just for better MPG. Its not even close. Electric trucks will save a lot of gas and oil though, im sure of that.

Last edited:
Definitely has the internet lit up. Though I think the biggest mistake might be calling it a 'truck'. That immediately starts setting people down the road of 'work truck' how much it can haul, bed size, towing, etc. Though 99.9% of the trucks I see driving around aren't hauling anything and have very little, if anything in the bed.

If you start looking at it as a 'vehicle' that can 0-60 in the sub 3 second range. [Meaning a whole long list of Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Corvettes, and other 'supercars' better be bringing their A+ game, and/or don't even have a chance.] ...and can tow ~14,000 pounds for a weekend outing, ...and can fit a couple dozen sheets of plywood, ...and can haul a literal ton of camping gear, etc - then a truck/car (trar?) hybrid starts to look interesting.

Will certainly be interesting to see the final form hitting the road!

My favorite truck was a 92 Dakota w/ a 318. Smaller than the full size but big enough for my needs, and plenty of power.

Then Dakotas grew to full sized trucks.

I'd love to see a regular cab, midsize truck come out.

I'd love to see a regular cab, midsize truck come out.
We are in the minority, other than my own truck iv not seen another late model regular cab truck on the road since i got mine 6 months ago. Lots of older ones, but zero new ones.

We are in the minority, other than my own truck iv not seen another late model regular cab truck on the road since i got mine 6 months ago. Lots of older ones, but zero new ones.
Agreed, they are getting less common, but businesses still buy them for work trucks. Governments buy a lot of them, city, state and federal.
I just checked a couple local dealers and they each had a few for sale.

Reactions: Ashful
Back to the Cybertruck. Does anyone have dimensions for this beast? It looks huge. Not something one is going to want to park at the grocery store.

They pretty much have to be ordered new from the factory and only come with the long bed, to the best of my knowledge. Some of the midsize trucks can be ordered with back seat deletes like the Tacoma and Colorado.

I just picked up a '16 regular cab Ram 1500 that was lightly used with 39k on the clock. The bed liner only had a single scratch and no hitch! Lol.

One of the Big 3 or Tesla should do a small E- truck. Rangers and S-10s were very popular and the small size should make for good AER .

It really depends on why one has a truck. Big trucks are great if one is hauling big stuff on a regular basis. If not, they can be sort of a liability. Problem is that even the mid-sized truck are creeping up in size and height. I loved my Ranger. It was the right size for about 80% of what I needed a truck for and got good gas mileage. The F150 was nice and modern, but oversized for many tasks and not so great on gas and not so much fun parking at the local stores. I would like to see a vehicle manufacturer come up with a mid-sized E-platform that could serve for either a mid-sized truck or SUV.