Finally DONE! Flex liner and insert install...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
After reading this forum my eyes were opened to the dangers of burning the inster the way it was when I moved in, unlined, dumping straight into the clay lined masonry chimney.

I bought a Simpson Duraflex 25 foot liner. I only ended up using about 15 feet of it.

It was a HUGE pain the the butt. Had to hack the damper out, fish it through. The guys helping me cut it to short on the top of the chimney..I told them 4 to 5 inches, and they cut it flush, DOH! ever try stretching it once it's in? FUN.

Anyway, after about 5 hours of work, and many trips to the hardware store it's all done.

It's about 70 degrees outside, and about 70 in the house. But I just HAD to fire it up to check it out. The draft was really well for the warm temp. I can't wait for it to get cold outside!

Thank you all for all your advice and help.

Dustin

High_Iron said:
Sounds great, but where are the pics? :)

we make a sticky that it MANDATORY for all install stories to have pics!!!!!
the rest of us need to be able to release!!
we hear the story and are left to imagine.... after getting all worked up!!!
GIVE US SOME PICS PLEASE!! PLEASE!!!

LOLOLOLOL

Ummm to save you the trouble we at Magnaflex make a 5 foot ovalized section at the end of our 25 or 15 footers on request to past through that damper... just a hint for help..

Good move with the liner Dustin. What kind of insert do you have there? One thing you need to watch is how you start out burning when it gets colder. If you have one of the older "airtight" inserts the burning characteristics are going to be a whole new animal. Many if not of the ones over 20 years old were never designed with the strong draft a liner provides in mind. When I added a liner to my 1985 insert it went ballistic. In fact I ended up replacing it because it was uncontrollable anymore with a large load of wood.

Ya just need to treat it like the first time you ever fired it up and get settled in to the new way it operates.

Ya just need to treat it like the first time you ever fired it up and get settled in to the new way it operates.

BB, this is priceless !

;-)

Pictures of my insert PRE liner install.....

Its an osburn, and while I had it out today I forgot to look at the model number.....

I love this website!! NOTE! The crack is not in the top of the stove, it's in a Baffle area and has no acsess to the outside world. I also welded the crap out of it, and reinforced it with a 1/8'' steel plate.

Attachments

• Stove 001.JPG
    Stove 001.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Stove 002.JPG
    Stove 002.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 268
  • Stove 003.JPG
    Stove 003.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 239
  • Stove 004.JPG
    Stove 004.JPG