Finally Finished my Wood Box!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Its on wheels, and sized so an overflowing 18 gallon bin can fit inside. I used walnut veneer over bamboo flooring, for the structure 1/2 MDF. It can also be used as additional seating or an extra coffer table.

I roll it over the patio sliders, remove the bin, fill it from the porch rack outside the patio (about 20' away) then slip it back into the box and roll back to stove area.

20141224_113820.jpg 20141224_113503.jpg 20141224_113725.jpg 20141224_113400.jpg 20141224_113317.jpg 20141224_113206.jpg 20141224_113140.jpg

Reactions: Soundchasm
Great job......looks awesome

Looks good. What sort of wheels are you using? I'd keep an eye on you wood floor to make sure you aren't marring it. If the wheels can pick up any sort of debris from your patio they could scratch the bamboo floor possibly.

Looks good. What sort of wheels are you using? I'd keep an eye on you wood floor to make sure you aren't marring it. If the wheels can pick up any sort of debris from your patio they could scratch the bamboo floor possibly.
The box never goes into the patio, just to the doorway. They are rubber/urethane type wheels, all the floors are white oak, so they're pretty tough.

Looks nice MB, I want to make something similar, I have the casters and I have a bunch of leftover bamboo flooring, can you take a pic of the box open?

Looks nice MB, I want to make something similar, I have the casters and I have a bunch of leftover bamboo flooring, can you take a pic of the box open?
Thanks. Here you go.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419444957610.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419444957610.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 332
can someone point me in the right direction? I'm very new to this and would like an antique flatware chest I.d.ed. I've never really gone too far into identifying wood any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419720837013.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419720837013.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 205
Classy...

I made a rolling wood bin recently. Wish I'd made it years ago. I roll it onto the front porch to get wood from the stacks or roll it into the sun room to transfer wood from the wheel barrow and leave zero wood crumbs behind. Roll it right up to the front of the stove and root through it without getting anything on the floor.

That looks great. Here is something I started the other day using old pallets. I'm going with same concept. I didn't consider wheels but am going to try and add now.
2014-12-29 18.13.20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great. Here is something I started the other day using old pallets. I'm going with same concept. I didn't consider wheels but am going to try and add now.View attachment 148878
To maximize strength, I used hex bolts and nuts for attach wheels. I also started the lowest course hanging off the bottom of the box to hide the wheels as much as possible, I like that cleaner look.

Thats what I liked about your design. The wheels aren't noticeable. I'm using 3 inch slats so it might work out perfect if I just add another row on the bottom to hide them.

can someone point me in the right direction? I'm very new to this and would like an antique flatware chest I.d.ed. I've never really gone too far into identifying wood any help would be appreciated
Looks like it might be mahogany.

the grain pattern looks like fir or oak, you can't go by the color, since its stained.

Status
Not open for further replies.