Finally got a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3fingersalute

Oct 28, 2006
Picked up a used Harman Invincible, installed it Friday. I burned it a little Friday to see how it would work, but with temperatures being in the high 60's, I didn't run it real long. I fired it again Saturday evening, and left it run all night, it ran great, and the temperature in my living room (where the stove is installed) was almost 80F whenever I woke up this morning, so I turned it back a bit. Now this evening, it doesn't seem to be burning quite as hot as it was last night. Last night the temp in my living room was in the very high 70's, and that was with the stove set to about 1/2 of the temp setting. Tonight, it doesn't seem to be burning as hot, and I've even cranked the settings up to the highest and have had it operating like that for over 2 hours now.

The only thing I've noticed different is that the flames today don't seem to be quite as large as they were last night when it was firing hard. They seem to "switch" back and forth from a large, high flame to a smaller, less brighter flame if that makes any sense. When the flame changes, there is a noticeable "clinking" noise in the stove that corresponds with it. I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong, if its some bad pellets, etc. that's making this difference, but the stove is definitely heating differently than it was Friday night.

Anybody have any ideas/suggestions?

As the stove builds up a bit of ash at the front of the burnpot, you will see differences in the fire. Also, did you completely clean the heat exchanger tubes in the stove? The often go unnoticed....seen these exchangers plugged on myany occaisions. What are the settings on your dials as well? (feed setting, temp mode, temp range)
The clinking sound is most likely pellets falling into the auger chamber, and every once and awhile, you might hear a pop or a bang...thats a pellet being sheered off by the slideplate....slightly problematic with the invincible, because theres a microswitch with a metal activator that gets bent after this happens alot, and your stove will give you errors. The Invincible is no longer made, and subsequent models of Harmans do not include the microswitch.

Thanks for the reply, I think the pellets were binding up a little last night, because eventually the fire started to really fade out, and upon looking, there were no pellets being pushed out by the auger. I stirred them around a bit and they started feeding again, and this morning the stove was really putting out the heat again. Currently, I have the feed rate at 3, the heat dial set to about 5, and the other dial set about in the middle on the room temp side.

I haven't cleaned the heat exchangers, I emailed Harman over the weekend hoping to obtain a users/owners manual for this stove. Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate the reply!

Id be happy to email you a .pdf copy of the manual if you like. PM me here with your email addy if you like, and you can print it on your home printer!

Status
Not open for further replies.