Finally- I got my omega Today! **Update Photo**

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtakeman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 30, 2008
Northwestern CT.
www.facebook.com
The Omega has arrived and what a beast. Took 3 of us to get it down the stairs to the basement. With a furniture dolly.

Shipping weight was 409 LBS. with skid of coarse. I think the stove goes around 325 LBS. or so.

I'm gonna play hooky tomorrow and get this thing burning.

So far all I can say is it looks like a well built stove. Also looks easy to work on too.

jay

Attachments

• forum edit1.JPG
    forum edit1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 930
We expect pics when its up and running ;-)

We don't care too much about the basement, but a picture of your new stove is required (expected/desired/demanded??)?

We wantta see it!

Enjoy

Kenny

Kenny said:
We don't care too much about the basement, but a picture of your new stove is required (expected/desired/demanded??)?

We wantta see it!

Enjoy

Kenny

I should have taken a picture of it when it was in my truck(at least the truck was clean). Now the pellet hauler is the stove hauler too. I can haul it and install it!

I will take a photo after I at lest tidy up a little. First things first. I gotta get it running.

Great news Jake!

Where did you buy it?

How long did you wait for it?

I had one on order late last spring and cancelled after the delayed it 4-5 times.

FG.

jtakeman said:
The Omega has arrived and what a beast. Took 3 of us to get it down the stairs to the basement. With a furniture dolly.

Shipping weight was 409 LBS. with skid of coarse. I think the stove goes around 325 LBS. or so.

So far all I can say is it looks like a well built stove. Also looks easy to work on too.

jay

flamegrabber said:
Great news Jake!

Where did you buy it?

How long did you wait for it?

I had one on order late last spring and cancelled after the delayed it 4-5 times.

FG.
It only took 2 1/2 weeks. But it seemed longer. I tried to get a Maxx back in 2007. Had the same problem as you. So I settled for a bigE.

Its running now and I have a photo!

Congrats! Nice and streamlined. Gotta love it.
Enjoy the warmth.

Hey Jake,

I want one!

Where did you find it?

What are you planning to do with your Big E?

That Omega sure looks like a nice stove. Multi-fuel is great feature and it burns crappy pellets no problem too.

FG.

jtakeman said:

jay

Very nice lookin..Congrats!
Keep us posted how you like it

So far so good. I was a little nervous at first. Wasn't throwing out much heat. I guess it took a while for all that cast iron to heat up. She cranking the BTU's out now. Dusting the BigE I had for sure. This thing throws out about the same heat on 3 setting as the BigE threw out on the 4th setting. Doesn't seem to be eating up that much more pellets either. I will know a little better when it has run more and When it gets cold again.

I kinda feel like I have a new girl friend :coolsmile:

jay

you will love that stove
The EXTRA large angle heat exchange will do a great job with the 60k btu

Once you get the stove dialed in you will not have to mess with it much.
I found the more air the better.

Sure looks nice! We have an Enviro gas stove (4 years). It is incredible.

flamegrabber said:
Hey Jake,

I want one!

Where did you find it?

That Omega sure looks like a nice stove. Multi-fuel is great feature and it burns crappy pellets no problem too.

FG.

I tried to get it locally From V&V;Woostoves. But there was to long of a wait. They were talking 6 weeks or more. So I bought it Online fron Nichols Fireplace and Woodstoves. He was doing a year end Sale. I got it for the price of the Maxx around here. Bob was very nice and shipped it fast. Most of my wait was messing with my local dealers.

http://www.nicholsstores.com/

I plan on trying to sell the bigE. I need to clean it real good and stick it in the local paper.

I plan on trying some of the multifuels that are available around here. Looks like switch grass is the easiest to get. But I have seen cherry pits and corn too! If I can get cheap crappy pellets. I'll burn them too.

Thanks
Jay

jtakeman said:
flamegrabber said:
Hey Jake,

I want one!

Where did you find it?

FG.

I tried to get it locally From V&V;Woostoves. But there was to long of a wait. They were talking 6 weeks or more. So I bought it Online fron Nichols Fireplace and Woodstoves. He was doing a year end Sale. I got it for the price of the Maxx around here. Bob was very nice and shipped it fast. Most of my wait was messing with my local dealers.

http://www.nicholsstores.com/

I plan on trying to sell the bigE. I need to clean it real good and stick it in the local paper.

I plan on trying some of the multifuels that are available around here. Looks like switch grass is the easiest to get. But I have seen cherry pits and corn too! If I can get cheap crappy pellets. I'll burn them too.

Thanks
Jay

you paid $2599.00
that is a good deal No much more than my cost.

Yep, Only $118.00 for shipping too.

About $1000.00 less than the best price around here. They wanted more for the maxx locally, Than I paid for the Omega.

I'm hoping Bob will also do any warranty claims I might have. Still working on that. I didn't want to buy internet, But man it would have been hard to pass up that price.

It is no worse than the Dealer I bought my bigE from. Didn't care when I had troubles and had no heat.

Another thing on this stove. I can believe how quit it is. Have to keep going down stairs to see if its running. Even my wife noticed.

jay

Wow $2800.00 for a pellet stove and you have like a grand in the Big E = like $3800 .00+ for pellet stoves .

Nice looking stove, I hope you enjoy it for years to come....

buildingmaint said:
Wow $2800.00 for a pellet stove and you have like a grand in the Big E = like $3800 .00+ for pellet stoves .

Nope, I paid $1599.00 for the BigE. Plus I still have my quad(old and tired like me). So right now I have 3 in the basement. Plus a big ole wood stove for backup.

My wife thinks I just like to collect them. But I have to sell the BigE. Can't keep them all.

But I do have to say that this is the first single digit morning that I didn't have to go crank the BigE to the max or chuck some wood in the woodstove. Finally awoke to a real nice and toasty house. Maybe the wife will start wearing a little less clothing! :p

jay

So far the stove is running great. House is a comffy 72.

I just finish my 24 hr burn and I used about 1 1/2 bags of pellets. I had it on high/low setup.

To make a fair compairision to the BigE. I'm going to run it on the on/off setting tonight. Let see how she does when she has to recover in the morning.

Total force of habit I shut the stove down to scrape the burn pot. Looks like I don't need to do that for a while. Burn pot was really clean. Just a little ash on the sides. That is going to take some getting used to.

Going to use the Turmans for the next few days, Then I will try these Premier pellets. They were kinda ashey in the BigE. I'll see how bad it is in the Omega.

Still working on those switchgrass pellets. So far I have found them for $250 a ton. I'll have to wait and see what the spring prebuy prices are. May or may not be worth it.

I got a price on corn too. 305 a ton. ouch!

If anyone finds some better prices in CT. Please let me know??

Thanks for all the replies.
Jay

Question. I have a omega as well. I love the stove and still newbie. I have mine on a thermostat (on/off) while im at work and the inlaw and my daughter are home. The cold night are coming and I was gonna start putting it on high/low. Quick question on high/low. If I set it on 2 or does that mean that no matter what its going to use 2-3 setting pellets even when it doesnt need it. If that makes sense. I just dont want it to feed more than it needs.

deadeye316 said:
Question. I have a omega as well. I love the stove and still newbie. I have mine on a thermostat (on/off) while im at work and the inlaw and my daughter are home. The cold night are coming and I was gonna start putting it on high/low. Quick question on high/low. If I set it on 2 or does that mean that no matter what its going to use 2-3 setting pellets even when it doesnt need it. If that makes sense. I just dont want it to feed more than it needs.
hi low mode stat

You have the feed rate set at only 2 that will be the feed rate when your thermostat is calling for heat. CLOSED
when you thermostat is NOT calling for heat it will be feeding about the same as low.
this is why it is best to run the stove on 3 or higher if you are using HI low mode. They reason you want it higher is for it to run hot to keep the stove cleaner.
plus running the stove on 2 as your max it will take longer for it to heat up.
kind of like trying to boil water on simmer setting on your cook top.

this is my 3rd season and I have been running on 3 and ON and OFF mode with no problems heating 1900sq feet
I have been using less pellets now than I did with my Enviro Windsor/Empress that I ran for 5
season before I got the Omega.

hearthtools said:
deadeye316 said:
hi low mode stat

You have the feed rate set at only 2 that will be the feed rate when your thermostat is calling for heat. CLOSED
when you thermostat is NOT calling for heat it will be feeding about the same as low.
this is why it is best to run the stove on 3 or higher if you are using HI low mode. They reason you want it higher is for it to run hot to keep the stove cleaner.
plus running the stove on 2 as your max it will take longer for it to heat up.
kind of like trying to boil water on simmer setting on your cook top.

this is my 3rd season and I have been running on 3 and ON and OFF mode with no problems heating 1900sq feet
I have been using less pellets now than I did with my Enviro Windsor/Empress that I ran for 5
season before I got the Omega.

I am doing exaclty as Rod say's. Hi/Lo set on 3. seems to work pretty well. The low setting just about maintains the temp in the house. This morning it was only on high fire for about 1/2 an hour. It seems to be working OK. But the stove looks dirtier than normal. So Rod may be correct as the stove seemed to stay cleaner on Auto/Off. One good thing with the Hi/Lo setting is when it does call for heat. The stove is warm from being on low so there is less lag on the temp rise. Seems either way I use about a bag a day. So far the only draw back is the stove just looks dirtier than when I was on Auto/Off. I am going to crank it up this afternoon to see if it cleans up. Otherwise Auto/Off maybe what I will be using. It is all still trial and error for me. But I do love this stove!

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.