Finally I have my Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Hunter green used 2 seasons. I neeed to re do the door gaskets and griddle gaskets I also have to get the 6" flue collar a handle and either get the ash pan handle or make one up Probably need a new cat.
In the picture is the bottom heat shielf open fire spark screen and matching collor Ash can I have already given it the compressed air and blow gun approach all refactory joints are tight and do not leak Very minor chips in the enamal All in all its in real good condition $500 plus slao notice the oval to round 8" adapter again in excellent condition

Attachments

• encore2.jpg
    encore2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 378
It's beautiful Elk! We need to get a non-cat on the floor, one of the new colors. Wish I had about 2000 more sq.ft. of showroom. I only have around 1200 sq. ft.. I would like to have one of everything I sell. Not necessarily one of every color or anything but just one model of all the stoves we sell.

Well the cat does not need replacing very clean and a bit cleaner after I vac and blew it out

Very nice, Too bad summer is almost here. I bet your just itchin to see what she can do.

Nice looking stove Elk!!!!!

Time to start cutting and splitting to feed it too.

After going threw it again changing the cat is a piece of cake. I do not need a cat

Here is what it needs: ash door handle, Front door handle, top load door handle.
And the two log retaining angle irons.
I plan to re gasket the both doors I have enough 5/16” outer door gasket material here,
But need the door glass gasket sets. I am sure that before the summer is over I will be tweaking it some more I guess I will remove the inner cast plates for cleaning and further checking the refractory joints.

Dylan I removed the doors, bottom cast grate, bottom heat shield, Griddle top, The cast iron rear backer plate and could have remover the inside left and right cast iron plates. I figure this reduced the overall weight at least 100 lbs. I was able to setup on a two-wheeler and rope it in position with ramps walk it right into my small pk truck. I
left the two -wheeler attached in position backed it to my sloping driveway and rolled it out without much to do. I made a promise to the lady to remove it before May. If I had the 6” flue collar here it would be running

The contacts I have at VC Bethel plant have assured me they can get a hunter green 6” flue collar and the aforementioned parts. To off set the additional cost for parts, I could sell the spark screen and the oval to round flue collar adapter. My wife thinks I’m nuts
I tried to tell her it would cost us nothing. In fact when I sell my Resolute Acclaim I could make a few extra $$$. I tried to explain it will burn cleaner, longer, use 20” logs, and produce 18% more heat. Her one complaint is, she will miss the bread warming tray and mitten rack, the resolute had. I think I will have to spring for a rack and mitten holders

Don, she's a beauty. Do you know anyone with a metal shop? Maybe you could make a simple bread warming shelf with mitten pegs attached to the wall behind the stove?

It was not an old lady, actually quite attractive about 28 years old. She enherited the house remodeled it, and has a boy friend with no interest in burning wood, even though there is about 5 cords split and stacked there. Her father died about 4 years back they took out the stove during the remodel and it has been taking up space. Me it made no sense to swap out stoves during burning season. I paid her a few weeks back and promised to have it removed by May. They just plain did not want it. They thought they had it sold but the buyer backed out beause he did not want to deal with a cat stove. They have $500 more than they had before and now a 400lb beast is not taking up space. They are happy with the $500. We know here they could have gotten more like 800/1000.

Got to see if I can hunt up another one like mine for you. I still feel it makes more sense than rehab yours. All others I have seen are asking $1000 Still have not seen a modern Defiant in the used market. For all the dissing VC one has to wonder why no used Defiants? I do not remember any negative post concerning the defiant. A few positive ones though! New they are not cheap over
2g's

Dylan said:
elkimmeg said:
It was not an old lady, actually quite attractive about 28 years old. She enherited the house remodeled it, and has a boy friend with no interest in burning wood, even though there is about 5 cords split and stacked there. Her father died about 4 years back they took out the stove during the remodel and it has been taking up space. Me it made no sense to swap out stoves during burning season. I paid her a few weeks back and promised to have it removed by May. They just plain did not want it. They thought they had it sold but the buyer backed out beause he did not want to deal with a cat stove. They have $500 more than they had before and now a 400lb beast is not taking up space. They are happy with the $500. We know here they could have gotten more like 800/1000.

Got to see if I can hunt up another one like mine for you. I still feel it makes more sense than rehab yours. All others I have seen are asking $1000 Still have not seen a modern Defiant in the used market. For all the dissing VC one has to wonder why no used Defiants? I do not remember any negative post concerning the defiant. A few positive ones though! New they are not cheap over
2g's

NOTICE, that I never did say "old lady". I was careful...'cautious' you might say....to not be incorrect, and thus, employed the term "lady". And this comes from someone (ie, ME) whose NBFOTP is one who is five years my senior and who absolutely 'lights-up' whatever space she enters.

I'm trusting my memory (which people tell me is frighteningly acute, especially for a 56 year-old curmudgeon like myself) here, and feel comfortable in recalling/indicating that your first mention of this stove occurred in late 2005 or VERY early 2006, and that the seller's original asking price (or was it, the previous 'deal-price' that fell-through??) was higher than your $500. Again, I'm relying on my memory.

Is the heat shield on that thang REALLY cast-iron?? If so, I'm surprized. Sheet steel would do nicely (no need of cast-iron for detail on some aspect outta view) at a fraction of the cost.

The Encore would prolly work well for me when I think about it. Running a Defiant at high levels would prolly be too hot. I don't expect to put much money into the rehap of the Vigilant. I like to tinker, and if I end up selling it, I'd expect to hold out for my efforts and energies. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the enhanced performance/appearance.

Dylan - Acute or Accurate memory? I think its both. Mine is waning, with each passing 3 martini night.

And how are the two mistresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.