VT Castings Encore 2040 Two In One New Purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P3ax

Jan 2, 2010
MA
Hi Folks,

Finally bit the bullet and sold a Vigilant I that served me well for 15 or so years and bought a new Encore 2040 Two in One. Although pricey, could not resist with the low efficiency rating on the Vigilant, 300.00 Rebate available from VC, and Free Mass. State Tax Day... Have not used it yet but am impressed with its quality build and increased weight over the Vigilant.

Have some questions for other Encore 2040 2 In 1 owners:

The stove has a 6" chimney collar and VC recommends a 6" chimney pipe/flue size. They mention in the brochure if you want to run it with the doors open with a spark screen, you need to have an 8" flue which tells me you can opt for either flue size.

Can anyone let me know their experience operating their stove through 8" pipe? How is the Draft and general Stove operation? Is their a reduction in the stove's efficiency running theough an 8" pipe over the 6" pipe?

I installed a new straight-shot chimney last season consisting of 8" DVL connected to the Vigilant's stove collar running to the Ceiling Box and 8" Triple Wall SS Pipe from the box through the roof. Total flue length is approx 16' (?). Since the DVL Chimney pipe is still in excellent condition, to save some bucks I plan to use a 6" to 8" expander into an 8" DVL adapter to connect the new Encore.

Any and all replies appreciated!

Thanks,

p3ax in Mass.

I say give it a shot. Originally the Encore was offered in only an 8" collar and recommended an 8" liner. The basic design of the stove is still kind of the same.

The limited chimney height that you have might give you a problem, but you might be okay.

I too had a Vigilant. I am also a current owner of a Defiant and an Encore. The Vigilant's heat output is in between the two. A little more than the Encore, but less than the Defiant. On my Encore, an older 0028, I am getting 6-12 hour burns during the heating season. 8-10 hours during should season, with the occasional 10+ hour burn. During colder months I get 6-8 hours.

If your Encore is sized appropriately for your house and you aren't dealing with drafts, like I am, you can expect 8-10 hours of consistent heat from the newer models. With the occasional longer burn.

I say give it a shot. Originally the Encore was offered in only an 8" collar and recommended an 8" liner. The basic design of the stove is still kind of the same.

The limited chimney height that you have might give you a problem, but you might be okay.

I too had a Vigilant. I am also a current owner of a Defiant and an Encore. The Vigilant's heat output is in between the two. A little more than the Encore, but less than the Defiant. On my Encore, an older 0028, I am getting 6-12 hour burns during the heating season. 8-10 hours during should season, with the occasional 10+ hour burn. During colder months I get 6-8 hours.

If your Encore is sized appropriately for your house and you aren't dealing with drafts, like I am, you can expect 8-10 hours of consistent heat from the newer models. With the occasional longer burn.

Thanks for the response. Purchased a 6" DVL Chimney Connector for the stove and a 6 to 8" DVL Expander which I'm currently installing. Starting to get a bit chilly. We'll see how it goes.

Nice name (BrowningBAR) - my favorite rifle of all time. As originals are up there in price, I was looking at the Ohio Ordnance BAR in Walnut Stock; I believe it was 2400.00 at the time. Should have bought it as the prices continue to escalate. Oh well, have to stick to the ARs and Garrands...

Status
Not open for further replies.