Finally Installed and Running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maineah

Jun 22, 2008
Seal Harbor, Maine
After about 4 months of work off and on I got my Napoleon 1400, Excel Chiminey and Excel Double Wall Stove Pipe installed. Pushed fist fire through it Saturday night, was very pleased with heat output and ability to fire high or low. I did slightly over fire which resulted in fire alarms going off all over the house, the dog howling at the fire alarms and the kid screeching at the fire alarms. The steel on the stove hadn't been broke in yet and smoke was pouring off from it. We dampered it down a bit and she ran fine until it went out.

A concern did arise though, the double walled stove pipe feels much hotter that I expected. It made the wall directly behind it, 15" away, warm to the touch. Does this sound right? You can rest your hands on the heat sheilds of the stove but you can't touch the DVL stove pipe.

I'm not sure about the pipe, but the smoke alarms isn't from over firing. They're from the paint curing on the stove. It will probably do that one or two more times, then you're ready to go.

Yep, that was the paint baking and oils burning off the stove. Open the windows for the next fire or two.

Double-wall pipe will get warm with 4-600 degree heat going up it. But if you can hold your hand on the warm wall, even briefly, it's not too hot.

Every time you get to a new "record" temp, you will get a bit more of that nasty outgassing for a while. I have heard people say that constant heating/cooling of a wood surface will lower the combustion temp- but even then it should be fine if you can put your hand on it safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.