Finally into the oak.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Been burning since beginning of October, mostly tulip poplar, with the occasional oak split for a little substance, generally uglies and shorts, about 2 banana boxes of oak so far. Been fine.

Well, it snowed 6" last Thursday, and they are calling for the temps to get into the 20's tonight, and teens for a couple days after that (13° on Thanksgiving!).

So, finally loaded the wheelbarrow up with good dry-aged oak last night. Put three splits of oak in with the tulip poplar tonight after work, man does it make a difference.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Bump

We only had just over a half cord of dry oak for the stove (first year burning).

Wife discovered she likes it 74*f in the house and has been burning it all up. It’s almost gone.

I find it doesn’t burn any better than all the sugar maple but does leave juicer coals.

I’ll be ordering two cords of “kiln dried” next weekend to get us through the season until I can get ahead off my own property. Maybe there will be more oak in that.

Oak is the only wood I have. Been burning it since October. Mix of red and white and seasoned 4 years. I’m currently 5 years ahead. Time to take a break from firewood.

I love oak. It burns hot and long and grows like weeds out near me

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
How is that to burn (hardwood/softwood, fast/slow, coals/ash, etc.)? Is this the tree with the really pretty flowers?
It flowers, but I'm not sure how pretty they are, sort of a pale yellow and green, plus, you can hardly see them from the ground.

Doesn't coal much, hardly any ash, burns fast. Good shoulder season wood, if it's what you have.

We only had just over a half cord of dry oak for the stove (first year burning).

Wife discovered she likes it 74*f in the house and has been burning it all up. It’s almost gone.

I find it doesn’t burn any better than all the sugar maple but does leave juicer coals.

I’ll be ordering two cords of “kiln dried” next weekend to get us through the season until I can get ahead off my own property. Maybe there will be more oak in that.
I wouldn't make that assumption; definitely ask them what kind of wood they'll be delivering. Where in NH are you?

I'm in the Lakes Region area. Gilmanton.
Ahh. I was going to recommend a firewood guy but you're a little far from where I am. You guys must have a decent amount of snow already if we already have 3-4 inches

Ahh. I was going to recommend a firewood guy but you're a little far from where I am. You guys must have a decent amount of snow already if we already have 3-4 inches
Probably over a foot the last three days and counting. I’m trying not to keep track.