Finally ready to upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hotdamn

Jan 4, 2021
Southwest wa
Hey, fellers. Been researching on this website for the last few months. Tons of good info. I grew up with a wood furnace and my folks switched to a blaze king king just before I left the nest. Never really paid much attention to the quality of stove they had until recently. I'm now in a house that was built in the 1930s with some blow in insulation and I have installed new windows in the past couple years. I'm currently burning an old school slammer in a clay tile chimney that measures 6 1/4 by 14 inside diameter. I have a blaze king princess insert on order as well as a 6" oval liner with insulation to fit my brick chimney which measures just over 19'. I've read a lot about how important draft is for blaze king products, and would like to know from princess owners if this seems like a reasonable install to get good burn times with dry wood out of a princess insert? Trying to hear about 1700 sq ft of fairly open living space. I live in southwest wa state with pretty mild winter temps and a lot of "shoulder temps" if that helps at all. I appreciate the input

You should have no issues, install a block off plate also

So here's my latest situation. Princess insert has not yet arrived. In the meantime, a windstorm knocked a tree over on my house and has demolished my chimney from the neck up, roughly 14 ft. Have not yet heard from the insurance adjuster as far as numbers, but thinking about getting rid of the rest of the brick fireplace in and going with a freestanding in wood stove. I would need to go through the wall with stove pipe and I'm wondering if a blaze king princess stove will work with 2 90 degree bends in the pipe. Any princess in burners with this type of setup would be helpful to respond.

So here's my latest situation. Princess insert has not yet arrived. In the meantime, a windstorm knocked a tree over on my house and has demolished my chimney from the neck up, roughly 14 ft. Have not yet heard from the insurance adjuster as far as numbers, but thinking about getting rid of the rest of the brick fireplace in and going with a freestanding in wood stove. I would need to go through the wall with stove pipe and I'm wondering if a blaze king princess stove will work with 2 90 degree bends in the pipe. Any princess in burners with this type of setup would be helpful to respond.
On the inside of the house just go with (2) 45's you will need a minimum of 24" of straight double wall coming out of the flue collar.

Does the 90 going up the outside of the house not have a negative impact also?
See the illustration on page 14 of the current manual. The 2 foot vertical rise before turning to go out through the wall is a minimum and is shown with 2X45 degree elbows inside. The outdoor 90 will certainly affect overall draft. Nothing better than straight up and out if you can find a way to make it work. You will like the freestander IMO.

Why run a wall penetration? Just use the existing hole from the old chimney and run Class A inside the house. This is often the best way for draft picky stoves like the princess.

Why run a wall penetration? Just use the existing hole from the old chimney and run Class A inside the house. This is often the best way for draft picky stoves like the princess.
Princess is one of the least "draft picky" models. Just a heads up for ya.

I know it's been a month, but finally have some results worth posting. Due to insurance paying for repairs and not being very flexible on making major modifications, we stuck with the original plan of the insert with a rebuilt chimney. It was installed Monday we have started 1 fire in it and have been burning in it since. The only issue was the thermostat was whistling and I couldn't get the stove to burn really low like I had hoped. It would cook us out, which is a good to show this stove can burn a hot fire if needed, but had me concerned looking ahead to shoulder season, which is one of the main reasons I went with blaze king. I've heard people rave about the black box that keeps putting out heat and wasn't getting that result, so I called blaze king today. The guys that answered was extremely friendly and said he would help me through the issue. He noted that most of the quality control guys were gone for the day and would call me back tomorrow. To my surprise, he called back 10 minutes later and said to take a flashlight and look through the grate on the right side of the stove and make sure the air plate was oriented correctly. It was per his instructions, so he recommended jiggling the thermostat knob a couple times. Within 15 seconds, the red hot coal bed died down to just a few embers and it has operated as advertised ever since. I got 6 hours of quality heat out of what looked like a bunch of coals. I'm extremely happy with the quick response and great customer service from blaze king on this issue. They obviously care about their product and reputation and are willing to help their customers. Loaded the stove tonight at 9 and now have it cruising at a very comfortable temperature. I'll try to post the results tomorrow.

Reactions: stoveliker
What's the least?
Usually the cheap tube stoves are the least picky about low draft. They allow so much air in to get clean burns with minimal tech that they work pretty well in lower draft situations.

You said " least draft picky bk models, but not overall"

Which is the overall least draft pick bk model?

Usually the cheap tube stoves are the least picky about low draft. They allow so much air in to get clean burns with minimal tech that they work pretty well in lower draft situations.
Sometimes true, but sometimes not. Some cheap tube stoves route the air supply circuitously around the firebox to preheat the secondary air. They need decent draft to work properly. An example would be the Englander 13-NC which works well on a 15-16' stack, but poorly on a 12' one.
A common attribute of easy breathing EPA stoves that work with weaker draft is a short secondary intake path that is generously sized. Thus some Morsos, PEs, Enviros, some Drolets, etc. work ok with a shorter flue system.

Reactions: bholler