Finally ripped out my oil furnace...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FanMan

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2012
CT stix & upstate NY
The oil furnace has been in my house since I bought it, about 26 years ago. By all accounts this type lasts about 7 years on the average, so I guess I did OK, though it seemed like I was always fixing it. Anyway, about a year ago I installed a used Osburn gas fireplace (fake wood stove, freestanding fireplace, whatever you want to call it) and 6 months later, two wall mounted gas heaters. After a particularly intense New England winter and never running the furnace once, today I was wiring an attic exhaust fan and figured might as well hook it up to the now unused furnace power supply... long story short, I ripped it completely out. It was scary... I feel lucky my house didn't burn down, there was blackened wood surrounding it.

The attic fan is functional, and the space formerly occupied by the furnace will be a broom closet, making my wife happy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.