Finally tammed the Wild Colt Jotul F602CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jblivesmall

Oct 6, 2017
revelstoke bc
After burning wood now for 2.5 months in my brand new Jotul f602, I finally figured out why I could never a burn lasting more than an hour or 2. I believe when the stove got delivered, crated, the window was installed too loose, hence, way too much air was getting in. I noticed one day that the top of the windiw was hanging so low, I could see the top of it with a gap above as well as a displaced piece if gasket inside the doir. I lifted the window way up, placed the gasket under and tightened the damper’s screws quite a bit more than it was. Resulting in the window being higher up not so loose and the stove burning like a normal stove. Long slow burns if needed, or nice and hot when needed. Much more enjoyable and safer.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Sweet! And you figured it out yourself and fixed it yourself - satisfying! Enjoy having a "new" stove.

Reactions: jblivesmall
I’ve posted on here about this problem before.
The glass is loose on all of them right out of the box..

I’ve posted on here about this problem before.
The glass is loose on all of them right out of the box..

Hey Webby - So is this a Jotul issue or just the Jotul 600? I've got my Oslo 500 on order and will plan on checking the glass no matter what.

Just the 602, no worries with the Oslo.

Thank you. Interesting that it's just that model. Almost makes you wonder if it's just the one guy who does the 602 doors! Someone should talk to him! LOL!

Thank you. Interesting that it's just that model. Almost makes you wonder if it's just the one guy who does the 602 doors! Someone should talk to him! LOL!
They’ve been this way for a long time. I wonder why this is? Maybe to pass EPA? Almost seems like it’s on purpose. Everyone I’ve seen is loose.

They’ve been this way for a long time. I wonder why this is? Maybe to pass EPA? Almost seems like it’s on purpose. Everyone I’ve seen is loose.

That is an interesting angle - passing the EPA testing. It would almost have to be something like that - the issue would have been caught by their QA, by dealers, and customers and they would have "fixed" it by now.

Well, there are 2 issues. The first is if the gasket around the glass isn't making good contact. The second is the goofy design of the 602. The gap at the top is supposed to be there. It's uncontrollable primary air. Not sure which/both the OP is talking about. The gasket at the top of the glass is supposed to loop around from the outside to the inside (is that what you were seeing?) and then go between the metal bracket and the glass, which is what creates the gap. If you remove that gasket, the metal bracket sits directly against the glass and cuts off that air source (and your air wash for the glass).

So curious as to what temps you're getting now behind the cook plate? My peaks are still around 800. Anything less than that and it smolders.