Finally wood heat in shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
Finally got all parts and the time to get chimney installed. Now have wood heat in the shop! Stove is a USSC 2015. Any one have one of these?
Seems like an economy line, but didnt need anything fancy. First fire last night. Was able to raise temp 10 degrees in about an hour. Should work well. Thanks to all the knowledgeable folks on here that have helped me learn the correct(and safe) way to harness wood heat!

20210109_175859.jpg

US Stove has been dealing with the engineering challenges presented by EPA regs by taking the air controls off the stoves and calling them "single burn rate appliances".

I don't know if they outsource their engineering work or what, but that's a big red flag for me.

Might make a very serviceable shop stove, though! In a big uninsulated building, how many air settings do you need? :)

Reactions: Gearhead660
US Stove has been dealing with the engineering challenges presented by EPA regs by taking the air controls off the stoves and calling them "single burn rate appliances".

I don't know if they outsource their engineering work or what, but that's a big red flag for me.

Might make a very serviceable shop stove, though! In a big uninsulated building, how many air settings do you need? :)
US Stoves has several different models made for them. Some are single burn rate but most of the lineup has variable air control.

Was working in the shop today. Fired it up in the morning, didnt take long to warm it up. Wasnt pushing it hard and it got up over 70 degrees. The air control doesnt seem to do much. Ok heater for the shop, wouldnt put in my house.

Iv had good results with the 2000 model .Stovetop goes right to 600 degrees with a few small pieces of wood. Its kinda small at 2 Cu. ft. requiring frequent reloads. I think i paid $399 off season. Burns clean.

Didn't have to put much wood in to get it up around 500 degrees. Don't mind constantly feeding it since I am working in there. The warmth from it is far better than from the forced air propane heater.

My uninsulated shop is 20x25 and i have an Englander 30NC in there. The USSC 2000 is in an apartment above.
Do you have the 2000 model or one of the larger models? I believe they also have a 2500 and 3000 model.

Just says 2015 model. Is that the 2000?

My uninsulated shop is 20x25 and i have an Englander 30NC in there. The USSC 2000 is in an apartment above.
Do you have the 2000 model or one of the larger models? I believe they also have a 2500 and 3000 model.
My shop is a little bit bigger than that with 10 ft ceilings. Future plan is to add a bay, so almost double it.

My shop is a little bit bigger than that with 10 ft ceilings. Future plan is to add a bay, so almost double it.
I have 12in uninsulated concrete and brick walls on 2 sides so it takes awhile to warm up. I can get it to 60 in 2 to 3 hrs but thats with a large 3CU ft stove. Yes so much nicer than trying to keep it warm with propane heaters.

I have 12in uninsulated concrete and brick walls on 2 sides so it takes awhile to warm up. I can get it to 60 in 2 to 3 hrs but thats with a large 3CU ft stove. Yes so much nicer than trying to keep it warm with propane heaters.
Old machine shed. Insulated but still a bit drafty. Was working in a tee shirt last night. Got it up to 74.

Old machine shed. Insulated but still a bit drafty. Was working in a tee shirt last night. Got it up to 74.
That larger stove will help you a lot when you expand the shop. Occasional heat is much more difficult than a space heated 24/7 . All that cold steel and concrete soaks up a lot of heat initially. On the plus side it rarely goes below 37 in my shop overnight or when unused even though it is first floor with nothing heated around it so i dont have water freezing.