Finding a Home Depot Makita

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
So, for those who have been looking, how do I find one? Do I need to call around to as many as possible?

All I've done so far is stop in at the same HD every few months and ask (I don't live near one, so I stop in at the one near my in-laws)

Should I be having them check a computer to see if another store has one? can they even do that?

I have a list of stores near my Brother-in-law, Dad, and Cousin. These would be the easiest to purchase from (ie, paypal funds to relative who could go to store and send pics for review then purchase if I want them to).

The problem has been that not all HD even have a tool rental, but if the website is accurate, then I know which ones do.

Go to the HD website and go find the tool rental section. Then search for the HD stores near you that have tool rentals, many if not most do NOT rent tools, nearest one to me is over an hour's drive.

Then just start calling them all till you find one with a Makita saw either for sale now or one pending.

This is hard to do, they get snapped up fast and you need to be ready to move on it and have the cash available right then and there. None of the stores I called would hold one...strictly whoever walks in the door first. If you have your relative get pics and then you're going to mull it over, you're not likely to get a saw out of the deal.

Good luck.

Do I need to call around to as many as possible?: Yes.

That's what I did. I had asked a half doxxen times at various stores. When I damaged my main saw with a big tree on the ground I called every store within 10-12 miles. Bingo! Had it in an hour.

If you are at the store, they may be willing ot look in the computer and see/guess when one might come up.

It is a good plan, especially for a one saw plan. They are pretty boringly reliable. I wish mine gave me any excuse to put the 79CC piston and cylinder on it.

Good luck!
Mike

When I've been at the store they said "check back after XXX because that's when we get our 'list' of what we'll be selling." but that's the best they could do for me. I never though to have them check other stores, cause I just don't live near any with tool rentals.

I've heard reports of 225 up to 350ish depending on condition.

HittinSteel said:
I'd look at the AS classified section if I were you ;-P
BTDT, is there one right now? I'll BRB.

Yeah, first one is wrong makita for me. Second one is located halfway across the country, and is powerhead only, I'll wait. Third one has the big bore kit on it and outta my league for cost.

Now, I hadn't seen that 028 on there before. That one makes me pause.

Okay, didn't know you required something local.

The 238SE the 028 guy is selling has made me pause.....and send him a message!

HittinSteel said:
Okay, didn't know you required something local.

The 238SE the 028 guy is selling has made me pause.....and send him a message!
That's a cute little saw for some fast light limbing work. Talk him down on a package deal on both those power heads and I bet I'll regret not getting the 028 and you can gouge me on it later, lol.

I called the 5 or so HD's with rentals near me once a month, usually somewhere in the first week as that's when the list usually comes out. One time whoever answered offered to check all the local lists, but only the once. The seem to go in spurts, one place had 3 (but starting at $300), another sold a "bunch" during the summer while I was out of town.

Good luck!

The one HD rental center near me always said to check in the off season (not autumn) for the used Makitas. I checked in for over a year at that HD store and one other store, but never scored one. I got the feeling that the dude at the first HD rental store moved all his buddies to the top of the waiting list.

Come to think of it, there was one HD I called that said they only sell the saws once a year, but I think it was in fall. Go figure.

I also ran into some funny business at one particular store. I did wonder if they were being funneled out to sell on ebay or something.

The Makita is a Dolmar and I have bought 4 brandy new 5100S's for 350.00 so I would be hard pressed to spend that much on a rental that you just know has had at least one tank of straight gas in it and the other were probably wrong mix at best. If its the 5100s equivelant then top ends are real expensive and no aftermarkets are available. Did one last year and piston kit alone was 89.00.

It's the Makita 6401 (Dolmar 6400). An aftermarket 84cc piston/cylinder is available for $100 from Baileys and original 64cc top ends are probably available on ebay. According to the HD rental folks I've talked to, they supply a can of premix with the saws to avoid straight-gassing. Although they don't seem to check spark plug tightness...

Well then if its the 6401 that may be a good deal. Those Baileys top end kits are sure priced right.
I have a 100cc one to put on a Husky 395.

Been watching the HD for one here for my son. I have ex HD, with 79 top end.

One here yesterday: 'broken', talk to the tech. Tech 1= cuts out at high rpm. (probably set too lean and on the rev limiter I am thinking if not piston damge would be great) Tech 2: maybe straight gassed, picton and cylinder scored, not worth fixing. (not worth fixing? note-don't hire this tech) Perfect , just what I want, to put 79 top on it. We won't sell it, goes to scrap. HD corporate policy if it isn't running good they won't sell it, even for parts. Can I get scrappers name? nope, has to guarantee it will get crushed, scrapper can't sell it for parts either.

So, HD corporate policy is to throw good money out, not give the managers any discretion on what to do, and to waste perfectly good saw resources that others want......

keep trying. they are worth it with 79 cc. as a 64 they are good, but not great.

kevin j said:
Been watching the HD for one here for my son. I have ex HD, with 79 top end.

One here yesterday: 'broken', talk to the tech. Tech 1= cuts out at high rpm. (probably set too lean and on the rev limiter I am thinking if not piston damge would be great) Tech 2: maybe straight gassed, picton and cylinder scored, not worth fixing. (not worth fixing? note-don't hire this tech) Perfect , just what I want, to put 79 top on it. We won't sell it, goes to scrap. HD corporate policy if it isn't running good they won't sell it, even for parts. Can I get scrappers name? nope, has to guarantee it will get crushed, scrapper can't sell it for parts either.

So, HD corporate policy is to throw good money out, not give the managers any discretion on what to do, and to waste perfectly good saw resources that others want......

keep trying. they are worth it with 79 cc. as a 64 they are good, but not great.
Kevinj, saw the same thing locally, so... went to -www.toolking.com-
HD is a test of your patience. A member here-Jutt77- set me up with the ToolKing 6401. Danno, check the ToolKing website. You WON'T find the 6401 listed, so you have to call them direct. I bought mine for 379.00, w/ a 1 year warranty. It was basically brand new. I planned on doing the CC upgrade this winter, but I really don't need to- so it will stay stock for a while. Good luck.
Off topic- Welcome to the world, Grayson Bleu Brandt! My niece just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl less than an hour ago.

I already have one, want to build one for my son.
At HD prices of $200, it makes good sense: run a while then upgrade. ebay has several sellers, of maybe siphoned off HD saws, at about 350. At 350-375 for used, I think I'd go Baileys new at 499. But neither makes economic sense to then put a 200 top end on it. I am not big on the chinese BB kits just out of principle and quality. I'll just keep watching for an HD one. In the mean time, I will find an 026/260/346/5100 to build for him. Anyone with one of those, pm me please.

Unfortunately, Baileys is up to $599 (for the 6421). They will throw in the BB kit for $30.

My plan is to get a cheap 6401 and run it til it dun run no mo. THEN I'll get the BB kit unless I let my saw ADHD take me in a completely different direction

"yep, look at my new Makita. Got a new bar on it and ordered the chain fro...hey, did I just see a Mac Super Pro 125 on eBay?"

Checked at 5 Home Depots. One said that they did have one for $229, so I got all excited and then they said that it was out on rental. I asked when it would be back, then after being put on hold they came back to say that it had actually already been sold. That's about the cheapest I've heard so far. Too bad I missed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.