Finding incomplete burned ash in burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rarewolf

Oct 18, 2017
Newfoundland
I'm trying to find the correct reason why I'm finding clumps of incompletely burned ash in my burn pot... that is, before I accuse the retailer of selling damp pellets. When it's time to clean the burn pot I am finding hard clumps of darker ash, apparently too heavy to get pushed into the ash pan below.

This is a harsher winter, but I believe the stove isn't working as efficiently as last year using the same "Comfort Cozy" pellets. The pellets do not appear to be swollen, and I had gone through more than 100 bags of these pellets the previous year without problems. I thought it may have been ash that had fallen into the igniter, but having cleaned it the stove appeared to burn more efficiently but the clumping still exists. I've tried different pellets, and the clumping improves but still occurs.

The stove is an Harman Absolute43, and this is only my 2nd year with it. I had the stove's licensed retailer do its yearly maintenance just this last summer. Has any other Harman user seen this problem?

Edit: This is our 1st pellet stove. I have to admit I was surprised to find so much soot in the ash. That is, considering how efficient these stoves are supposed to be I thought I would've found only light colored ash, but no matter where the pellets came from our ash is very sooty and has been so since the stove was installed. I've gotten used to wearing nothing but old cloths while cleaning the stove, but it is a very dirty job.

TIA :)

Last edited:
Are you sure that its not clinkers? Any pics?

a comment regards getting dirty cleaning the stove.. if you haven't got one yet.. get an ash vac... I gave up on brushes and ladles and bought a great ash vac.. makes the cleaning easy peasy and 1/2 the time..

regards the clumps of darker ash (not fine fluffy grey)..I get that periodically with my PP130... in my case its not hard like a clinker but its more dense and darker that the usual fine ash.. iut vacuums out easily...sometimes requiring a bump with the nose of the vac nozzle to break up... I think its weather related vs pellets..Its definitely not cleaning related cause mine gets a "yearly" cleaning when there is warmish day about monthly.

and yes a picture is worth a thousand words

Assuming you are cleaning it according to the manual, I would go to the dealer settings screen and increase the combustion max speed rate. I have the Absolute 63 and similar issues with lack of air and slightly increased the max rate and solved the issue. Bottom right corner of page 6 of diagnostics screen, password is 1979.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and insight. I believe I’ve found my problem... I need my burn pot upgraded, under warranty hopefully...

If a person wanted to burn just pellets in a PC45 could that be up graded to that new pot? I want to restart this; I am wondering if or has anyone changed a PC 45 pot from what comes with it to the newer push the ash of the end?/ type of pot. Can it even be done?