Finding the right stove with my chimney height/width

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockhound

Aug 20, 2015
North Carolina
Well I started to pull the trigger on a stove and then saw something in the installation that put me back at the drawing board. Here is what I have after careful measurements:
Chimney Flue: 8"x12" O.D./6-1/2"x 10-3/8" I.D. clay liner = 67 sq. in. area
Chimney height from top of thimble to chimney outlet = 27'-7"
Floor to bottom of thimble 5'-3"
8" I.D. round clay thimble 24" long thru basement to exterior chimney. Chimney construction stone veneered concrete block.
Stove outlet is in basement currently non combustible floors/walls in the area of the install.
I don't want a big stove, was hoping I could do a 6" outlet.
I really don't want to do a liner if it is even possible to get one in there.
The chimney (built in 2000)has worked fine with older small stoves but the new EPA stoves I guess are different. The flue is in good shape and was only used for about 5 years. The stove I was looking at has a maximum flue length of 25'. It allowed me to do 2.5 times larger chimney area than the stove outlet which seems to be kinda typical I guess. I want to do an install per manufacturers recommendations of course and would like a UL listed stove. I don't need a pretty stove. So what are my options with my mile high chimney if any.

Just put in a key damper to limit draft???? That's what I would do, I'd much rather have a chimney too tall than too short. I can almost guarantee you will have a creosote problem with that big, tall clay flue though. Newer stoves just don't leave up enough heat to keep a chimney that size hot enough.

And have you had the chimney inspected by a pro with a camera? 5 years with an old stove in an oversized chimney is plenty of time to destroy those clay liners.

Before I pay for a sweep to run a camera down the chimney I would like to know whether a code compliant EPA/UL stove can even be installed meeting the manufacturers requirements with my conditions. If I can only put a large stove down there then I may not put a stove in at all. Is it possible to install a liner in the chimney and if so what are my stove options then?

Is it possible to install a liner in the chimney and if so what are my stove options then?
Yes you can fit a 6" equivalent insulated oval in there as is or with tile breakout you can do 6" 7" or 8" equivalent. So your stove options are pretty open. I personally don't think a 6" stove will work well in that chimney but if it is in good condition and has the required clearances give it a try and see how it works

I am not real sure what is involved with a break-out. The basement wall the 8" thimble is in is a 12" load bearing block wall, not sure if is filled block. It is all below grade. I did find the chimney clean out below the thimble after moving my junk. It is a small cast iron door just above the basement floor. I guess in my simple mind what I am starting to believe is the chimney as is is not built for an EPA certified stove without costly modifications. May work fine with a non EPA unit as has been proved in the past. Don't get me wrong I like the new stoves. They are very wood friendly. I had an Appalachian Stove Gemini XL in my last house and loved it. Unfortunately my wallet may tell me I just can't afford to do what needs to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.