Finish on stove exterior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MD485

Jun 4, 2017
SC
Greetings,
Been reading the forum for quite some time and learned a ton thanks!! Have a question regarding the finish on my Buck 81. Stove is a few years old and I am looking to revive the exterior finish during the off season. What is the best direction to go in? Thinking the off season might be a good time to tackle this project.Thanks in advance for any advice.

If your stove is only a few years old and not in real bad shape, you might be able to try and polish it up, otherwise spray painting can make it shine. As with any project the final outcome, is how well you do the preparation of cleaning the debris and rust from any surface. This would also be the time to check for any cracks or worn out parts. Since this will probably take place inside the house, pick a good day, so you can keep the windows open for ventilation.

If you go the painting route, Stove Bright is used by many here, with good results. I had a Jotul done in their Metallic Black, and it looked great when I got it. It ultimately rusted, I believe but that was due to a unique combination of shoddy prep work on the prior owner's part and a rather damp summer storage location on my part.

http://forrestpaint.com/stove-bright/