Finished the splitting today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Splitting pile-3a.JPG

I'm slow but did finally get that stack split today. I worked in the roaring wind. It was strange that I wear hearing protectors when splitting and when I stopped, turned off the motor and took the hearing protectors off, wow! The noise was amazing. 50 mph wind gusts will do that...

More pictures to follow but maybe not for a bit. Not sure how the stacking will go because the body is rebelling somewhat and also have many other jobs in line. I hate stacking when it gets hot but this year it may go that way.

Looks like some nice firewood Sav, in the 80's here, can't wait for it to cool off.

zap

Thats good ash there Savage i just hope I dont have to re-stack when this wind is done.

75 was our high but the wind speed almost matched that! etiger, I really hope I don't ever have to re-stack. In all the years we've done this, only one time has a stack fallen. That was a surprise! Maybe I was tired that day and didn't stack so well.

Looks great Dennis. Easy on the stacking part, thats pretty hard on the back. Be well friend.

Looks like a big pile to split dennis. How long did it take to split all of that? I have alot to split yet but its' been hectic around here. wind was rip roaring here to..... still is

Since we know it was split in the vertical mode, did the wind blow any over LOL.
A pile like that will make a few nice stacks to be burned for 2025 winter, I'm guessing :)
Glad you are feeling well.
100_7396.JPG
My pile still has a snow drift around it & the yard is gooshy, will be a few weeks before I can get it split up.
I did get the tomatoes planted today though. 90° in the GH, 54 outside. "break-up" is here :)

Looks good Dennis.

That's some clean-looking Ash there, Dennis! :cool: I'm also chipping away at a big pile of Ash rounds, trying to get it off the ground ASAP.
Not much wind here today, but we've had quite a bit lately with some low humidity. I like getting wood stacked in this good drying weather.
Looking forward to pics of the rows of splits. :) Take care.

Looks good Dennis. Ya sure got a lot of work done. I wasn't about to do anything in that wind. Then I head a truck turn around in my driveway then looked down the road at a big dead ash over the road. One guy in a pick up from the road commission was trying to cut it up and get off the road. By time I got a saw fired up and out there with the tractor he had one lane partially cleared. I jumped out of the tractor to get a game plan then jumped right back in the tractor. There were bees swarming all over the place and the road guy had quit cutting because of them. The tree was close to 36' dia hollow broken off at 10' foot or more and packed bottom to top with honey bees. He stopped traffic and I pushed the rest of the tree and branches off the road and we both got out of there.

Billy

man, thats a lot of splitting.

Few years ago it dropped down in temps in early june.
It was down in the 40s over nights for 2 weeks or so. Sure was weird.

Looks good Sav. Glad you got your splitting done, I know your back was really giving you a hard time.

Looks like a big pile to split dennis. How long did it take to split all of that? I have alot to split yet but its' been hectic around here. wind was rip roaring here to..... still is

Not really sure how long it took. I worked an hour here and an hour there over a couple weeks time. Never kept track so not really sure but it didn't seem that big of a stack. Still tuckered me out though.

Since we know it was split in the vertical mode, did the wind blow any over LOL.
A pile like that will make a few nice stacks to be burned for 2025 winter, I'm guessing :)
Glad you are feeling well.

My pile still has a snow drift around it & the yard is gooshy, will be a few weeks before I can get it split up.
I did get the tomatoes planted today though. 90° in the GH, 54 outside. "break-up" is here :)

Nothing blown over yet. That was awful yesterday and the noise of the wind through the trees was amazing. Today was much better. Not enough wood to go that far yet Dave. lol Some of the other piles shrunk a bit this year when the wood went down the road so not sure how far ahead we are now. Will take inventory after the stacking is done.

Hey Billy, you should capture those bees! lol

mecreature, I also recall a couple times in June losing our corn! That is cold to lose the corn in June. It was probably around 5" both times it got froze out.

Dennis, typically how many cord do you burn a year?

Typically 3 cord per year. Not really sure now though because we did some remodeling last year and added a lot of insulation, new doors and new windows. Then there is the little addition. Hard to tell from this winter but it looks like we've burned around 2 cord this winter. Certainly was not a normal winter though so I suspect the 3 cord will still be a good figure.

Hey Back Woods I have read on many posts that you season your wood for 2-3 years, my question is does dry wood burn for a long time? Seems like you would want alittle moisture to slow the burn some. My wood pile was started in Jan of 2011 and most of it is still there, I did add some maple and ash this spring already, do you think I'll see a difference in performance from the wood because it will be another year seasoned?

Dennis,
I look towards the day when I will be 3 years ahead on the fuel supply. Got a way to go. Beautiful Ash there. I love that stuff, but it won't be so plentiful in the coming years.
Take care,
Tim

You will see a difference! A lot of our wood gets stacked for much longer than 2-3 years but as of late we are having some problems getting further ahead. Seems every year we are selling some or giving some away and the danged piles that are left just won't grow. I'll take inventory after we get this year's stacked to see what we have left.

Does dry wood burn for a long time? Yes. I don't want moisture to slow down a burn. I've never been able to burn water yet and don't plan on too many experiments doing so. We certainly have no problem holding the overnight fires as the house is always warm when we get up. One big advantage is in the chimney. We don't clean very often at all. No creosote in the chimney either. In fact, we've cleaned once in 5 years and understand that our stove is not a supplement for heating. Our stove is our only heating unit other than the water heater and cooking stove. Well, the light bulbs through some too as does refrigerator, etc.

Dennis,
I look towards the day when I will be 3 years ahead on the fuel supply. Got a way to go. Beautiful Ash there. I love that stuff, but it won't be so plentiful in the coming years.
Take care,
Tim

Thanks Tim. There was a lot of ash there but there was a fair amount of oak too plus a couple small elm and 2 small cherry. It is sad to know that the days of burning ash is numbered. Probably 4-5 more years here at most.

Reactions: rdust
It is sad to know that the days of burning ash is numbered. Probably 4-5 more years here at most.

Sad indeed! I'm trying to hang on to it as long as I can and grab all I can in the meantime. It will last darn near forever once split/stacked and top covered so I don't pass on any.

You will see a difference! A lot of our wood gets stacked for much longer than 2-3 years but as of late we are having some problems getting further ahead. Seems every year we are selling some or giving some away and the danged piles that are left just won't grow. I'll take inventory after we get this year's stacked to see what we have left.

Hey Dennis, offer still stands, 4 man crew with equip. Bet we can put up 8-10 cord in a weekend. Give us a fire to cook on, we'll camp on the back 40 & have fun doing it. A C

Hey Dennis, offer still stands, 4 man crew with equip. Bet we can put up 8-10 cord in a weekend. Give us a fire to cook on, we'll camp on the back 40 & have fun doing it. A C
Better take AC up on that one Dennis. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.