Finishing Basement for the Oslo (stages of progress)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
Bought the material yesterday to finish my basement. Im thinking its going to be a walk-in mudroom with slate flooring but we'll see if I decide to change that idea.
Here's what I accomplished today, i'll update with my progress but probably wont have one for a few days.

Attachments

• base8.jpg
    base8.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 312
  • base7.jpg
    base7.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 324
  • base6.jpg
    base6.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 328
  • base5.jpg
    base5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 328
So far, so good . . . after having done a slate hearth I've thought about doing more work with slate for flooring . . . very easy and it looks sharp.

That baby is going to look so much better after the fix up Mike. Will the ceiling insulation be removed?

firefighterjake said:
So far, so good . . . after having done a slate hearth I've thought about doing more work with slate for flooring . . . very easy and it looks sharp.

I hear its easy, im planning on doing a raised hearth with matching slate floor and flat stacked stones as well in the spring.....possibly all at once, im just not sure how long it would take to complete.

BeGreen said:
That baby is going to look so much better after the fix up Mike. Will the ceiling insulation be removed?

Thanks BG, I've been going back and forth on this question. I, myself, really want to remove it but I keep being told by friends and family that if I want to sell the house it will need to be there. I am going to have sheet rock on the ceiling and honestly dont think if I were to sell, a building inspector would punch a whole in it to check. We shall see.

Finished with the framing, next step...Sheetrock

Attachments

• base9.jpg
    base9.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 201
  • base10.jpg
    base10.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 210
  • base11.jpg
    base11.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 229
Insulating the exterior walls?

BeGreen said:
Insulating the exterior walls?

Yes sir, forgot that part

firefighterjake said:

FF Jake -

Make sure that the slate has enough "grip." We, unfortunately, have it in the entry way and kitchen - makes for a VERY slick surface; especially with wet/snow covered footware. When we remodel the kitchen, the slate WILL be coming out. We will be going with some sort of tile with some grit on the top. I hate ice skating on the outside, it's even worse indoors!!

PJF1313 said:
firefighterjake said:

FF Jake -

Make sure that the slate has enough "grip." We, unfortunately, have it in the entry way and kitchen - makes for a VERY slick surface; especially with wet/snow covered footware. When we remodel the kitchen, the slate WILL be coming out. We will be going with some sort of tile with some grit on the top. I hate ice skating on the outside, it's even worse indoors!!

I've thought about putting some slate down in our front foyer/entry . . . the one which we (and our close friends) never use . . . pretty much reserved for strangers . . . and we don't care if they slip and fall. ;) :)

All kidding aside, whether slate or conventional tile goes down (or something else entirely) will ultimately be the decision of Mrs. Firefighterjake as she has had a knack for picking out the right products, colors, etc. to making the house decent looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.