Fire bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
After almost 10 yrs of service, my SBI insert is starting to have some fire brick crumbling. The two upright middle bricks are finally needing replacement.

The bricks are the lighter, better insulating, pumice bricks. I am relatively certain the pumice bricks are what was used when it was tested. I'm also certain that it's cheaper to ship with the lower weight.

I am going to buy replacements from my local brickyard because they are cheaper and local. They are the heavier, denser fire clay bricks.

Other than the potentially higher emissions at startup, is there any other reason I shouldn't use the clay bricks?

Can you flip the bricks around so you’re looking at the back of them?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Can you flip the bricks around so you’re looking at the back of them?
I like the idea, but they are so far gone in the corners that I can see a substantial amount of the black steel stove back.

I am planning on doing this on a couple of the bricks on the floor. The air from the doghouse has eaten away at the surface, and I believe they are salvageable using the flip technique.

Now that I think about it, I could swap the two from the back with two from the floor. Ash would quickly fill in the gaps, and provide insulation on the floor. Gravity!

I just get mine at the box store. They used to be about $16 for a box of 6. I’m sure that’s higher now. I would just cut them with an angle grinder that has a cut off wheel on it.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
That's what I did. Box of bricks shipped to Home Depot.

I just get mine at the box store. They used to be about $16 for a box of 6. I’m sure that’s higher now. I would just cut them with an angle grinder that has a cut off wheel on it.
Same here. I got the Vogelzang bricks from Menards before the pandemic. I haven’t checked, but they’re probably not cheaper now.

$32 - $36 for a pack of 6 from Home Depot, today. Might as well order from Amazon, similar price (actually one option slightly cheaper), and they'll be on your doorstep before you have a chance to drive to the Depot.

I’ve seen the heavier firebricks at TSC and one of the box stores. Lowes or HD. The local concrete yard has them too. They were around $2.50 each last time I saw them.

I replaced the brick in my Princess this year and got Pumice brick from Menards in 6 pack cartons...$17.94 per 6

I didn't catch that. I ordered a box of Rutland bricks through Home Depot. They are 4 1/2. I dropped one brick cleaning my insert this year. Clean break that I could have just moved to the bottom, but I replaced it and kept it in the box with the other five.

Reactions: Ashful
I like to stick with OEM spec. picked up a box of Pumice firebricks last spring. After 14 yrs there were 2 rear bricks that were cracked and degrading. There are six in a box for about $30. It doesn't look like the price has changed.

I replaced the brick in my Princess this year and got Pumice brick from Menards in 6 pack cartons...$17.94 per 6
That's a great deal. No Menards around here, unfortunately.

Reactions: Tar12
$32 - $36 for a pack of 6 from Home Depot, today. Might as well order from Amazon, similar price (actually one option slightly cheaper), and they'll be on your doorstep before you have a chance to drive to the Depot.
I clicked "buy it now" on 2 packs of 9 x 4-1/2" x 1.25" bricks from Amazon, after typing this post last night. They arrived this morning, about 12 hours after ordering. Not bad!

12 hours? Its a trick. Did they actually send fire bricks or did you receive 30lbs of fidget spinners?

Reactions: Ashful
Amazon is in my driveway 4 - 6 times per day. I have the tire marks and broken plow markers in my lawn, from their bad driving, as evidence.

I do like getting the stuff I order rather quickly, but wish they'd just bundle it all into a single delivery per day, and save us all the traffic on the roads and neighborhoods. Days matter on residential delivery times, but hours rarely do.

Amazon is in my driveway 4 - 6 times per day. I have the tire marks and broken plow markers in my lawn, from their bad driving, as evidence.

I do like getting the stuff I order rather quickly, but wish they'd just bundle it all into a single delivery per day, and save us all the traffic on the roads and neighborhoods. Days matter on residential delivery times, but hours rarely do.
The Amazon Prime vans have exploded onto the scene around here in recent months...