Fire bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
I cleaned out the napoleon yesterday and I noticed that some off my bricks are broken. My ? is are there bricks out there that retain heat longer then others.
Its good to now that you guys are still out there. Its been a real busy year for me and I haven't had a chance to catch up on all the great info you put on the form
Thanks for the great dedacation
BURD

Fire bricks are not designed to retain heat. They ARE designed to protect the
sides, back & floor of the wood burning unit by preventing the heat from getting thru
to the metal surrounding the firebox.
They also force the heat to be concentrated within the firebox, resulting in a hotter fire.
Maybe you can find some soapstone bricks, like in the Hearthstone Clydesdale.
Soapstone will retain heat, but it will also absorb most of the initial heat
from the fire, so your unit will seem to take a longer time to begin heating your room(s)...
On the other hand, the soapstone will take a lot longer to stop radiating that stored heat,
resulting in a longer cool down time.

Status
Not open for further replies.