Fire Chief FC1000/Shelter SF1000 update.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Because my stove pipe was a similar distance to the top of my hot water storage, I used 1” ceramic insulation blanket. Definitely helps keep the flue temperatures higher.

Still just getting 7hrs from load to a cold stove.

When it got cold last week if I stayed up on it I could get 7-8 hours between loading with it still producing heat. Thermostat set at 72 andbthe house at 70 when I reloaded. There is enough heat and coals that it only took 20 min to have it stuffed full burning.

30 out I can get 12 hours out of it now. I have still got a few puffs this week and they come when I load it and the draft fan shuts down soon after. I’m starting to increase the temp and leave it run 45min to an hour and I will see how that does. They have been in contact with me about how it’s doing. I’m happier just not satisfied yet.

When I start a fire, cold start, I'll get pipe temperature up to 450-475, with load door cracked open, then try with the door closed, and just watch the temperature dwindle down, honest to God it just baffles me, did that blower help you in this area?

I let it get to 650-700 when I load on a digital internal probe before closing the door. Each layer I add gets to 500 before I add another and if you watch it will be good and charred before anymore is added, just as the manual says.

This thing is horrible to cold start and I would suggest you don’t let it go out and you will be happier.

When it got cold last week if I stayed up on it I could get 7-8 hours between loading with it still producing heat. Thermostat set at 72 andbthe house at 70 when I reloaded. There is enough heat and coals that it only took 20 min to have it stuffed full burning.

Same here with thermostat set at 72 and calling for heat (70 downstairs). However only 3 mornings I had how enough ambers to get up and running again. Also the same 20 to get the stove going good.

However, even if it is 30 degrees out, I still get the same burn times.

Guess my only complaint is the burn times.

I just checked the rest of the chimney and it all looks the same. A little soot buildup the brushes off easily. Now if only we could get rid of the occasional puffing so I didn’t have to burn with the draft fan longer probably loosing an hour of burn times between loading it would be great.

Same here with thermostat set at 72 and calling for heat (70 downstairs). However only 3 mornings I had how enough ambers to get up and running again. Also the same 20 to get the stove going good.

However, even if it is 30 degrees out, I still get the same burn times.

Guess my only complaint is the burn times.

I’ve got tons of coals in the morning. I’ve started taking ashes out and I can throw large splits in and see good fire in 20 secs.

I think I may have found and corrected another problem today. When I pulled the outside cap off the bottom of the tee to check it I found the cap loose and hanging down a little on one side. I just noticed I have a 100 more degrees on the flue when idling. I’m thinking I had a draft leak outside and it lowered the draft at the stove without the draft blower running enough it was not burning correctly.

I’ll be having a talk with the guy that cleans the chimney next time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: Plaster79