Fire code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbean

Nov 13, 2013
New Hampshire (southern)
I realize that fire codes differ from state to state, but is it against fire code in genera to put a vent that would allow hot air from the fire place to go up to the second floor? It would be up against the chimney (see picture). We have an interior chimney. We would love to put a vent in the ceiling and then have that open into the hallway wall above so that we get more heat upstairs (right now, the propane has to heat the upstairs, the downstairs is fine with the wood stove heat).

it would not break into the chimney or flue in anyway just something to let the hot air get upstairs.

I hope this makes sense.

l IMG_2139.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple things come to mind. One is that a return duct can not be within 10 ft of a stove. And the other is a requirement for a fusible link damper to be in any through the floor penetration. Both seem like they can be honored by offsetting the opening to achieve 10 ft. and adding a fusible link damper collar between the ceiling grille and the upstairs floor register is pretty easy. Atlanta Supply has the parts you need.

Info in this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...at-and-circulation.118956/page-3#post-1596896

Thank you for your response. that is what I thought. we have another option as well where we have a doorway where we could put a vent through and then the air could go up the stairs that way, it would just take longer and I am not sure if it would be as effective.

Beth

Try leaving the door open for a day or two to see how effective this will be. If so, could the door be left open in the winter during heating season?

Whatever you decide keep in mind that you are likely to get the best air movement if you can create a loop - i.e. a place for cold air to return without competing with the warm air going up there. Sure they can share the same stairway to flow, but then you may need a fan helping push the cold down. IF you have two areas at opposite ends of the upstairs and can force cold down one then the heated air is more likely to flow up the other.

yes, according to my husband we have the air flow where they don't compete. Also, there is no door to close, it's just a doorway with a frame around it. I assume at some point, there was door you could close. so there is an open space.

Status
Not open for further replies.