Fire going into stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KimiBwoah

Dec 6, 2016
Mooresville IN
Recently moved into a family members home to take care of it and am enjoying my first foray into wood burning. Been doing a gob of reading and experimenting to get to know my stove and what works well...this forum has been immensely helpful with that. Tonight I bring a question that I can't find an answer to.

The stove is a Wonderluxe B2350 Wood/Coal circulator. My issue is that it is a rear exhaust and when I build up a decent fire (3 large splits) I get some flame getting sucked into the flue during my initial burn before dialing it down. I can't imagine this is good, but I also can't get enough draft to keep it going without letting it do this for about 15 minutes before dialing it down. I load no higher than the top of the firebrick per the manual. I have had no issues with any pipe or the stove glowing. It really got my attention a little bit ago when I could see light through a seam in the elbow coming out of the stove.

So my question is is this normal, or what can I do to prevent it? Also what would be the best way to take care of the seam on the elbow? I'd rather not take it apart and replace if possible as we are about to have a cold snap.

Edit: forgot to include the flue info. One elbow out the back and a straight shot through the roof. Single wall black pipe to the ceiling (about 6.5 ft) into double wall, total flue height about 12 ft.

Last edited:
Is that an adjustable elbow, made of several segments? I would replace it with a one-piece butt-welded elbow, or at least a non-adjustable. I'm not sure how you would confirm that a new elbow would match up and fit the other pieces that you already have. While you are out, I would also at least get a "value" tube stove, like an Englander 30-NC, which will run you less than $1000, maybe less if you have a smaller house and can buy a smaller model. You have a lot to pick from up there in the big city. By all means, tell me if I'm trying to spend too much of your money... ;)

Reactions: KimiBwoah
I dont see its a problem myself. Box stoves suck the flame right up into the stove pipe without any baffles to deflect the flame. Long as it doesnt run to hot for to long i don't see an issue. If the pipe glows red then ya might have a problem.

It is a corrugated/non adjustable elbow. Not looking to get a different stove (though I'd like to) as this is about a 6 month deal living here for me.

I don't see any mention of burning wood in that stove, only coal....

Replaced my door gaskets tonight and repaired the slight gap in the elbow with furnace cement and roasting away at a happy 600F stovetop with much better draft control. Thanks all.

Now to get a proper pair of welding gloves so I quit burning myself like a fool loading this dragon.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.