Fire out, stove/insert still hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
My Quadrafire 4100I insert stays hot for hours after all signs of a fire are gone, all coals are below the ash level, and the face of the insert is still 120 degrees at noon time the following day, i.e., about 12 hours after I last put in a couple of big splits (not loaded for overnight, just something to keep it going through some of the coldest part of the night). The blower is off, goes off well about 120 degrees.

Some questions that come to my mind, or assumptions are:
1) as the face of the insert is still much hotter than the room, which is at 60 degrees when I get up, and the damper (air) is all the way back/off, I assume I'm still getting heat out of the insert.
2) with the insert metal/glass at 120 degrees and higher I assume there is still a significant BTU flow into the room.
3)with the damper/air set minimum/off there is some heat being lost up the chimney when the insert is cold. But not much heat, I hope.

LOL Jerry it's probably cause you're in a hurry to pull some maintenance on it. Hey what's the story with your heat pump...did you get it fixed?

Yes, the HP is fixed, but it took a full week to get that done with the unit being completely out during that time. With the blower being out one can't even run the resistive (0uch $$$) auxiliary/emergency heat. The blower out was my diagnosis and I asked that they put a replacement on the responding truck. When the senior team arrived, the same day I telephoned (I called three dealers within 40 miles of my home, the one that would respond with in a few hours was the one at 40 miles), the owner and a senior (aged) guy they troubled shot the unit and agreed I needed a new blower, but unfortunately they don't have one in stock...after all my unit is rather old..to which I said what are you planning for failures in the new units? No answer. That was followed by a screw-up in ordering a replacement, some confusion about the factory not being able to ship because the were closed for inventory work..it was January 2. Thus, the next two day resulted in nothing, that being a weekend. I let the dealer know that I was not satisfied with the lack of support, it was quite cold, and I had to think about the "little old lady in tennis shoes" who didn't have a new airtight stove (insert) and a couple of cords of seasoned hardwood. I then notified the factory regional representative by email, he was very responsive, gave me a factory contact who gave me a run around and the bad news that they could not replace my blower as it had been manufactured discontinued by GE, so they had to ship a different (newer) motor with an interface kit (circuit board) to interface it with my old unit's central control unit. Of course at additional cost to me. I told her I was not satisfied with her answer and while she said there was a mistake at the deal end, the factory would have shipped my repair parts last Friday and did so with over night handling (with additional cost to me, of course) ..this kicked me off again and I wrote another complaint to the regional representative saying the only executive name I have for the factory web site is the CEO. If he wants me to talk with an executive at a lower level he should identify said person to me. Within a few hours I got a telephone call from what I believe to be their attorney, to whom I gave my complaint dump...to little avail I'm sure, but I felt better. The dealer got the parts late Wednesday and came and installed on Thursday morning. The cost: $1261, which included two visits by the "A-Team", they must have accumulated between them at least 10 man-hours.

The bottom line? I still believe the geothermal hp was a good investment, it saved me about $1,000 per year for 15 years before the repair was needed. Stand by on further repairs. As the unit is inside, plus a ground unit, all looks great, no weathering, suppose I can replace th compressor for under $3K, who knows? I don't. That said, if I indeed saved $15K over an air-to-air heat pump and at least that much against recent oil heating cost, then the $12K I paid for the complete installation has been repaid with reasonable interest by savings. I was told the cost today for just the vertical heat exchange loop I have of 500 feet would cost over $10K, and of course that loop should last for another 30 years at least, just getting a recharge if the hp or compressor is replaced.

Gee, more than you asked for, just couldn't stop.

Boy its cold again, was 8 degrees this morning when I checked at about 7:30 am. The Insert is run all evening and into the wee hours of the morning, so the HP gets about a 10 hour rest each day, and per this post, I think it gets some help even when the fire has been out for hours, as the Insert is still hot to the touch (measured 120 degrees with an infrared) even at noon time. I'd say the unit is above room temperature until I start the fire again at 5 pm or thereabouts. There is still some small red-hot coals deep in the ash at 5 pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.