Fire place xtrordinaire Large Hybrid- tired of cat issues- need some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Get a small can of compressed air, the kind that is used for cleaning electronics, and blow out the dust from the channels. You could also try putting the hose on the output of a small shop vac to use it judiciously as a blower. Keep the air pressure below about 30psi.

For hardwood, the 2023 firewood should already be split, stacked, and seasoning.

Don't have a CAT, don't profess to know much about woodstove CATs but...we run a large fleet of modern heavy diesels with duty cycles that are not at all conducive to keeping the CAT in the DPF clean. We've had decent luck with a local guy that cleans ours with an ultrasonic cleaner. Don't know what solution he uses. Often, things like Dawn or Simple Green or vinegar work well when I'm cleaning things in my small ultrasonic machine here at home.
Not sure if this is even an option at all but thought I'd throw it out there.

Reactions: Sailrmike