Firebacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mooch

Jan 23, 2019
Jm
Hi everyone, has anybody used a cast iron fireback to promote more heat out of a high efficiency wood burner. Is it even possible? Thanks for any help

Hi everyone, has anybody used a cast iron fireback to promote more heat out of a high efficiency wood burner. Is it even possible? Thanks for any help
No one that I know of. I don't see any way it could be beneficial

My first thought is that the fireplace is either under sized or not being operated properly if something like this seems necessary.
it wouldn’t reflect any heat, because heat isn’t being lost through the back of the fireplace. It was a common thought with a masonry fireplace because almost all of its heat was being lost up the flue, any little helps was the thought.

I don't think it will hurt anything (except maybe the carefully engineered airflow inside your firebox). If it's a freestander, you might get a little less heat out due to the extra cast iron blocking radiation in one direction.

You will definitely lose firebox capacity, so burn times and peak output both go down.

If you want to try it, let us know how it goes. I can't really see it being helpful.