Firebox brick removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Insco2

Nov 4, 2016
Ohio
Hello all,
I've spent a lot of time in the background reading and informing myself via great people here. I purchased a used Lopi Freedom Bay wood-burning stove. After getting home with the stove and liner I realized the dimensions of my fireplace was too small. I don't plan to ever use the fireplace without an insert. This will be the home we retire in so the next recipient at a later date can deal with Yankee in the insert out if chosen. So my question for you is am I able to remove some of the Firebox brick and order to make this insert fit? I'm only short two inches in depth unfortunately. Thanks for any help.

I thought about that. But the brick is at a 45 degree angle. With A 4 inch grinder I think at best I might be able to penetrate an inch of the brick. I didn't mention on my first post that this is an exterior fireplace with masonary clay lined flue.

You'd be surprised how quickly a grinder will chew through the brick. The alternative is to have the insert stick out a bit more on the hearth, maybe with no surround. Or make a filler piece to fill the gap between the fireplace and the surround. Just be sure there is 16" of hearth in front of the insert door, or add a hearth extension to make it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.