Firebox internal surfaces.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapBassTurd

Minister of Fire
Jan 4, 2016
Indiana/ Michigan border
I know and understand the need for a clean chimney n' flue system, BUT:
The inside of my box (potbelly old school design) has different coatings at differing locations.

Around the screw air intake is a shiny glazed layer of hard creo. The sides have flake and clump
creo/ soot, and the top of the box is generally gray and ash free. The flue/damper butterfly is
an even gray, and the chimney is clean.

Does this sound/ seem like a normal firebox interior? There's many different temps and airflow
direction affecting the box. but is it cool that it all evens out before exit from the top? During a hot burn
there's a few red "chasers" that move around the upper sides and top that seem to burn it clean. Still, there's
a mess at the bottom few inches all the way around and especially on the door interior.

PS. I've been running garbage during this fine shoulder season. Garbage wood, not home generated trash.
Punkenstein, wet pine, dry pine, ash of course (it's on every burn) damp oak, and dry oak. Coupla knots, etc. Pallet factorey scrounge for startups, and the only trash we burn: Document shredder fodder.

Last edited:
Cheap, worried about the creosote build-up? Areas where you get build-up make sense in a way as they would be cooler sections of the stove due to air. Damp wood not likely helping the situation either. Since temps are fairly mild, wonder if that will change with higher heat demand?

Thank you for replying.
Just wondered if it was a concern. The chimney stays hot and clean.
The box can be a mess at times. Outdoor temps going to freezing as of late
and we're doing hot burns. Seems to be cleaning itself now.

Low and slow w/o a cat is not always the best... There are treatment logs to help clear the creosote but not sure how effective they actually are.

I would say your garage wood is giving the build up issues. I understand burning what you got but every once in awhile toss in a load of good stuff and get it good and hot to burn out the build up. I mean good and hot within your burning appliances tolerance of course.

Last year was my first year with my OWB so naturally it was a creosote making machine. the glassy and the gooey stuff was building up like crazy in the heat exchanger and firebox walls. well this year with the addition of 750 gallons storage, I'm batch burning. seeing temps around 500 degrees running in the flue the boiler has effectively cleaned itself out. I can actually see the original steel on the inside again. it was an interesting discovery to me.

Reactions: Lake Girl
I'd think that if your going to burn less than desirable wood do smaller and hotter batches.

I had a similar issue last season well burning less than ideal wood. Now that I'm in to good two - who and a half year old wood I haven't been noticing it happening this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.