Firebox Rust - Anyone use Black Diamond made from coal slag in the Red Bag?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Sanding and brushing does not get into all the small areas.

Anyone try fine grade Black Diamond Blasting media in the Red Bag from Tractor Supply?

Attachments

• MediaBlasting (1).JPG
    MediaBlasting (1).JPG
    622.3 KB · Views: 452
  • MediaBlasting (3).JPG
    MediaBlasting (3).JPG
    656.9 KB · Views: 255
Hello

Finally got the adapter and started blasting. Instructions say to open the Trigger valve all the way then open the throttle to mix air with the media. If I do that the nozzle cloggs quickly. Should I open the throttle all the way, then open the trigger fully. Then I can slowly mix the media in by closing down the throttle. Anyone have experience?

Harbor Freight 40lb Abrasive Blaster Item # 68992

Pic 1 shows front half of the burn pot support I blasted. It does a good job!

See Pic 2 with what I believe is in error circled in red.

Pic 3 - shows diagram of model with valves

Attachments

• MediaBlasting (4).JPG
    MediaBlasting (4).JPG
    438 KB · Views: 235
  • BlastingInstructionsErrorInRed.jpg
    BlastingInstructionsErrorInRed.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 239
  • HarborFreight40lbAbrasionBlaster.JPG
    HarborFreight40lbAbrasionBlaster.JPG
    384.7 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Hello

Maybe this video using the same model will answer the question?
I have the 40 gallon tank and a very similar air compressor made by Dewalt,
Maybe not. The video shows the abrasion valve on the bottom of the take being used to regulate the media flow. This can wear out the valve quicker. The throttle valve on the back of the tank should be used to regulate the air flow that adds more media. If you use the trigger valve or the abrasion valve, the meadia will wear those valves out, that is why it was hard to get going in this video!

Also I found there is a moisture filter for that can be added to the air compressor.
This guy has the same model and it clogged 9 times. He drilled the nozzle out, but that does not seem like the answer! I am convinced the instructions are wrong and you should start with the throttle OPEN not CLOSED!

Therfore, my suggested way, may be the best way? Any comments?

Last edited:
Here is a good video using a blaster.
However there is no throttle valve so the abrasion valve must be used to regulate the Media
He does mention to run it lean so it will not clog. This convinces me to start with the throttle wide open and then close it down to add media. That is the opposite of what the instructions state.

Hello

The instructions could be more detailed!
However, thanks to you tube, I finally got the blaster going!
To make it work, I had to switch to the largest nozzle that came with the machine. Then I did have to close the abrasion valve down to limit the media coming out.
The best way to do it, is to open the throttle all the way and then slowly open the abrasion valve until just enough media comes out to get the rust off.
Also I set the 210 PSI compressor regulator to have the tank output at 120 PSI which gave the blaster the required 125 PSI to do the job!

Results are good - see last pic below!

Attachments

• MediaBlasting (5).JPG
    MediaBlasting (5).JPG
    399 KB · Views: 234
  • MediaBlasting (6).JPG
    MediaBlasting (6).JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 241
  • MediaBlasting (7).JPG
    MediaBlasting (7).JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 234
Status