Firebox size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montboyd

Oct 5, 2016
oregon
I have a Shrader double door wood stove. It is in a basement with stainless steel pipe up through a chimney and a rotating wind-vane on the roof.

The stove is being used primarily used for ambiance as the rest of the house is being heated with the central furnace in the basement. Despite being in the basement, up to this point there has not been much of a draft problem.The cord-wood I have been using burns fairly hot, it is a bit old and starting to rot at on the outside.

I also have old pure salvage wood that burns well.

Despite this, I have not been completely happy with the managing the mess both in my basement and backyard where the wood is being stored.

So being as I am using the stove for ambiance I decided to give some Bear Mountain bricks a try (essentially giant pellets). It comes in pack of 9 about the quantity of three presto type logs. I was pleased with the results. A good 4 1/2 hours of heat, but not near as much as with regular wood. Part of the problems it seems that the firebox is quite a bit larger than what is being taken up with the Bear Mountain fuel. For over-fire concerns I am not sure I want to increase the quantity of the fuel

I got to thinking, the firebox is a bit small and should I continue to use the fire bricks, perhaps I could stack some sand firebricks mid-way into the firebox. this would bring the fuel closer to the stove door and air damper control. the fire bricks could also help add some internal mass and help reflect heat more forward,

The flue pipe is directly in the middle of the stove and this sand firebrick stack would be just slightly in front of the middle of the flue pipe.

Any dangers with this idea, and would it provide any increase in burn efficiency?

Thanks

Well no one seems eager to respond and I kinda understand why? It just seems like an odd question. Placing a firebrick in the firebox is not dangerous as many fireboxes have many firebrick in them. An extra isn't going to matter. But my question would be .....why? Internal mass? ugh...not really much gain there. Reflect heat? ......I doubt there is any gain here either. Moving the fuel closer to the stove door?.....Why not just move the fuel closer to the door.
If you weren't happy with the results of just bricks then try a combo of wood and bricks. The end result will be a full firebox....longer burn times and more heat over that period of time.
Not trying to be smart just trying to understand what you want and respond accordingly. Hope it helps but if not...hey it was free!

Can't speak for others, but it's a lot to read.

A baffle might make a larger difference in efficiency, but not as much as a modern stove. And that would provide a nice fire view.

Status
Not open for further replies.