Firebrick sizes - help with source

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1910Home

Jan 14, 2019
Pomona, CA
Currently doing some restoration work on a traditional wood-burning fireplace which I believe was rebuilt in the mid-80s.

Having a hard time sourcing the firebrick as I had to remove the back wall and a large majority of the brick is broken. Any advice on the size of fire brick is greatly appreciated! Trying to stick with this without changing size to match the two sidewalls.

Size is 150mm x 75mm x 30mm

Also, is there an easy way to remove old mortar from the bricks to reuse them? Any tips appreciated!

qp0SnlI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just buy a common size and cut them to fit on a cheap tile saw or with a diamond masonry blade in my angle grinder. Takes seconds, and I never knew one could buy all the odd sizes used in my stoves.

I just buy a common size and cut them to fit on a cheap tile saw or with a diamond masonry blade in my angle grinder. Takes seconds, and I never knew one could buy all the odd sizes used in my stoves.
That is a whole lot of brick to cut down to size. And firebrick eats up cheap diamond blades in a hurry.

Reactions: Ashful and 1910Home
Currently doing some restoration work on a traditional wood-burning fireplace which I believe was rebuilt in the mid-80s.

Having a hard time sourcing the firebrick as I had to remove the back wall and a large majority of the brick is broken. Any advice on the size of fire brick is greatly appreciated! Trying to stick with this without changing size to match the two sidewalls.

Also, is there an easy way to remove old mortar from the bricks to reuse them? Any tips appreciated!

View attachment 238838
Start by going to local masonry yards. If they don't have them they should be able to get them.

Reactions: 1910Home
That is a whole lot of brick to cut down to size. And firebrick eats up cheap diamond blades in a hurry.
Got it. In my case, it's just a few oddballs, most of the firebox uses common size.

View attachment 238838
Remove them all and rebuild it with normal firebrick. You're over halfway there already.

The bad part is no matter how good you do the firebox you will still have a questionable double flue setup that may or may not work. There is a very good reason the quotes to reduild your fireplace were so high. I really hope it works out for you.

Reactions: 1910Home
The bad part is no matter how good you do the firebox you will still have a questionable double flue setup that may or may not work. There is a very good reason the quotes to reduild your fireplace were so high. I really hope it works out for you.
I knew that looked familiar.