Firebricks? How much do you pay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
After spending A LOT of money on steel, ceramic insulation and cast parts, I don't feel like spending another 90 dollars on firebrick. The only place online I've been able to find firebrick is woodmans and they're getting 32.17 per case of six and I need twelve, so with shipping it ends up being like 85 bucks. Seems like an awful lot for a bunch of bricks. I'm getting in touch with a couple local dealers and a few from home that usually take care of me, but I was wondering what you all expect to pay for these?

Corie said:
After spending A LOT of money on steel, ceramic insulation and cast parts, I don't feel like spending another 90 dollars on firebrick. The only place online I've been able to find firebrick is woodmans and they're getting 32.17 per case of six and I need twelve, so with shipping it ends up being like 85 bucks. Seems like an awful lot for a bunch of bricks. I'm getting in touch with a couple local dealers and a few from home that usually take care of me, but I was wondering what you all expect to pay for these?

That pricing is nuts. I bought a dozen at the local stove shop for a buck and a half apiece last year.

Go to a lumber yard and tell them you want firebrick "splits." Those are basically half bricks (the same size as a regular brick, but half as thick). They run a couple bucks each.

That's unless you want something really special and exotic. For that, you have to go to Firebricks of Hollywood.

You may not get the joke, Corie, but I'm sure BB does.

Eric Johnson said:
Go to a lumber yard and tell them you want firebrick "splits." Those are basically half bricks (the same size as a regular brick, but half as thick). They run a couple bucks each.

That's unless you want something really special and exotic. For that, you have to go to Firebricks of Hollywood.

You may not get the joke, Corie, but I'm sure BB does.

That place sells bricks that would make a stone mason blush!

haha, ya know, I do live with my fiance and believe ME she knows what malls have fredericks of hollywood. It's a shame I can't find one with a firebricks of hollywood! hah

I'm not looking for anything exotic here, just standard split firebricks. All the exotic stuff was easier and CHEAPER than this. The 2400 degree ceramic blanket insulation was 8.95!!!! So if anyone needs to replace the insulation in their stove, I've got a great srouce that will sell in very small quantity. And it's a higher quality than the OEM stove stuff.

Did you check places like Home depot, and Menards? They sell them pretty cheap, but they may be out of season.

I get a couple of common fire brick and cut them in half with a wet saw If you can't find half bricks

I replaced a couple in the Oz this year and they were about 3 bucks a peice. I thought that was kinda steep especially when I look at what some of the masonry heaters would cost me to build (if I were building one)...By the way, is it essential to use firebrick in an out door fireplace?

I never looked for code concerning outside fireplaces. Personally I would use them as common
brick is not kilmed to withithstand the potential heat. Its not a safety issus but protection that the heat does not crack
the bricks

I think they *might* be there to prevent warpage of the steel under the potential heat conditions that can be prevalent in those things.

I replaced the light (and fragile) bricks in my old Quadrafire with the heavier fire bricks.
It seemed to work okay to me.

velvetfoot said:
I replaced the light (and fragile) bricks in my old Quadrafire with the heavier fire bricks.
It seemed to work okay to me.

Did you replace them all? You see any difference in the stove's characteristics? I did a couple (two center on bottom) in my Osburn. The new one's are like 3 times heavier. The elm I was burning left a deposit on the old ones that eventually caused them to come apart. I'm hoping the new ones will hold up better. I do wonder if I should replace all of them though.

Yes I replaced them all. I saw no difference at all, but maybe it's something you wouldn't notice right away anyhow. The new ones were yellow-ish as opposed to the grey popcorn-like originals. I used a cheap abrasive blade on my crappy table saw for the custom cuts.

I just bought full height and half height. Fulls were 1.90, halves were 1.25 (plus tax for both). This is in Southern MD (stamped Maryland on the bricks..guessing local produced).

Status
Not open for further replies.