fired er' up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
got bored tonight and it is a little bit chilly so I fired it up.
I am just using some kindling and junk wood since I really don't need alot of heat from it.
Just wanted to fire it up. feels good!

Anyone else in the North East or anywhere firing up?

Yep, 3 nites this week. Wife is in the process of having me "certified" :gulp:

So.

Where's the pic????????????

conf44.gif

I'm tempted to fire up the old pellet stove, but I guess with the current price of pellets, I'll just wait until I really need too.

ya, thats why I am burning junk rotted wood. I don't have the guts to burn my good wood just for fun. Plus it was alot of work getting that wood.

skinnykid said:
got bored tonight and it is a little bit chilly so I fired it up.
I am just using some kindling and junk wood since I really don't need alot of heat from it.
Just wanted to fire it up. feels good!

Anyone else in the North East or anywhere firing up?

Been idling away @ 8000 BTUS for the past week watching the mountain tops collect snow and the leaves turning yellow
and orange.

If I fired mine up right now, my wife would have me committed! I'm just waiting for that first hint of coolness in the air. Which in GA could be next February! Just kidding.

I'm hoping I don't have to fire mine up until late October. Not likely given our cool summer, but one can hope.

sonnyinbc said:
Yep, 3 nites this week. Wife is in the process of having me "certified" :gulp:

At that rate you'll be out of firewood by January. :lol: I did have a small fire with kindling the other night just to suck the summer moisture out of the soapstone.

I'm itchin to break in my new insert, but I'm holding out till i get a night in the low mid 40's. Hopefully sometime in the next couple of weeks...

I'm going to fire mine up tonight for the first time this season. Won't really need heat for another month or more. I put some 'stove black' on it this summer (a wax product), so I need to bake that in. It will stink for a while like a new, painted stove. I can open a few windows and let it air out.

This has been a mild summer here. Didn't need to run the A/C. Love the low electric bills. The house has its own thermal equilibrium. I have watched that average temperature upstairs slowly coast down from the 80's, then the high and mid 70's. Now it's dropping into the low 70's, just the right time for this little 'heat wasting' exercise.

I've now had my 2nd 'break-in' fire of the season. The wax stink wasn't near as strong as the first time. In fact, I really didn't notice it. I just installed a probe thermometer. No previous experience with one. I like it. About 600 degrees with a small hardwood fire after it got it up to temperature and stabilized. Looks like I have good, dry fuel and am getting some hot, clean- burning fires in this stove.

Primed the stove last night with some poplar cause we heard of a frost warning for this morning and I wanted to be ready. Got up early sure enough there was a lite frost but the inside temp held at a steady 70* ...so still no fall fire yet. When the back up heater comes on we'll fire it up.

BeGreen said:
I'm hoping I don't have to fire mine up until late October. Not likely given our cool summer, but one can hope.

Same here. I'm putting the finishing touches on just shy of 100 sq ft of passive solar sunspace, so those btus should delay first fire by a little bit, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.