Fired up the quadrafire 3100 on Beaver Island

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

Mar 14, 2008
Northern Michigan
Spent the weekend opening our place on the island and fired up the ole 3100 for all but one day out there. Burning some balsa fir and old maple we had laying around. Burned very nicely and a stove I would highly recommend. We have used it when there since 1991. No winters spent but used plenty of summer days with the cold air off Lake Michigan.

Carl

301979507_f29ac-M.jpg

Should I bring some brats & beer? I'll need directions. Packing up the Jeep now. Rick

fossil said:
Should I bring some brats & beer? I'll need directions. Packing up the Jeep now. Rick

Sure Rick, I will see you in a week. :) Once you cross the big Mac bridge go to Charlevoix and from there you can take the boat or fly over. About 20 miles out into the lake. We usually fly ourselves over from Traverse City but had to take some stuff out on the boat so flew the comercial flight from Charlevoix this time. When you get there and get the house heated call me.

Well, shoot. I had the Jeep all packed and was hooking up the boat trailer when my wife came out and reminded me that we have to finish moving out of our house and into our guest quarters to get out of the way of the contractors coming tomorrow, so I'll have to take a rain check. BTW, that's a beautiful pic you took, Carl, as usual. Rick

Carl, we're not out in the middle of a big lake, but need a fire going here too! Yesterday the official high was 85 degrees. Not bad for the first 80 degree reading this year. However, right now it is 43. Pretty much all of Michigan expecting either frost or freeze tonight. I think from about Lansing south it is only frost but hard freeze predicted all over the place from there north. I feel for the guys who planted their soy and navy beans. Those things don't take to frost worth a hoot.

Hi Carl,

Your stove on Beaver Island looks lovely......nice photograph. We covered all our plants last night down here in Ann Arbor but the predicted frost never materialized. Still, mighty cold for this time of year!

All the best,
Chip

ChipTam said:
Hi Carl,

Your stove on Beaver Island looks lovely......nice photograph. We covered all our plants last night down here in Ann Arbor but the predicted frost never materialized. Still, mighty cold for this time of year!

All the best,
Chip

Thanks Chip, we did get the frost down to 27 this morning for several hours. I lit our stove for an evening fire but now it is supposed to warm and I hope it stays that way.

The Beaver Island stove has been there for 12 years or so. We use it most times when we go there except in July and August but then that is not a promise either. The water keeps the island cool. Our house is on the South shore so if there is a strong south wind blowing we usually feel it. No need for air conditioning either.

Hope the Jotul works out for you and you have a safe trip way....did I say way.....up north. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.