Fireplace Block Off & Woodstock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
I think I'm going with a Fireview, but I need to work out some logistics for my set up first to make sure this will work. Currently my hearthstone sits about 2 inches front of my fireplace opening, covering most of it. The stove's large metal exhaust back sticks into the chimney to vent out the back and then bends 90 degrees up.

For a new stove I am torn between:

A) Putting the stove in the same spot (as close as possible to the fireplace opening to block it and minimize intrusion into the living space). I'd vent straight up ~4 feet, then bend 90 degrees, go another ~2 ft and bore into the chimney flue.

Positives:
- This will allow me to reap extra heat from ~6 ft of iron pipe exposure.
- More living space use.

Neg:
- Not aesethically nice. Eliminate the use of most of the brick mantle top.
- Not sure how to set up a cleanout for the flue.

B) Bringing the stove into the room 1.5 to 2 feet (still in front of the fireplace) and venting straight back.

Pos:
- Keep clean out "T" that is already inside the fireplace. Can slip behind stove somewhat easily to sweep yearly without having to move and mess up the hearth and my back (Stove weighs almost 500 lbs).
- Can continue to use nice brick mantle

Neg:
- More intrusion into living space.
- Only 1.5 to 2 feet of iron pipe for additional heat radiation, instead of 6ish.

Anyone see any other issues or have any experience with this decision? I'd like more heat, but want a mantle too.

Also, I plan to fabricate a removable block off of the firebox so that pets, etc. don't go behind stove. Ideally it will also reflect heat or at least prevent heat loss. Metal work the best?

Thanks.

The low flue temps of that woodstock would minimize gains from the pipe. The stove is the heater. I like option B, keep the mantle and move that radiant heater into the room.

Good point Highbeam. I hadn't thought of that. Obviously when starting the stove up I'd get some of that formally lost heat, but it doesn't sound too significant.

I keep thinking about that BK video on youtube where the guy sticks his hand in the exhaust stream of the BK. It must be pretty cool.

Glad to hear you decided on the stove. I'm sure the install will be great. The great thing is that since there is no front door on the fireview, you have really small front hearth requirements.

I also think option B would look better even though you will lose heat and efficiency from a lack of stove pipe. I remember Webmaster stating exposed stove pipe can increase efficiency 10-15%. I know with my Fireview during reloads my 5' of pipe can really throw off some heat and after engaging the cat the pipe temps drop in half, but still releases some heat to the room.

Todd, do you have single or double wall pipe? I have the double wall and don't get much gain off the pipe.

Todd said:
I also think option B would look better even though you will lose heat and efficiency from a lack of stove pipe. I remember Webmaster stating exposed stove pipe can increase efficiency 10-15%. I know with my Fireview during reloads my 5' of pipe can really throw off some heat and after engaging the cat the pipe temps drop in half, but still releases some heat to the room.

Single wall, forgot to mention that, good point.

3fordasho said:
Todd, do you have single or double wall pipe? I have the double wall and don't get much gain off the pipe.

Todd said:

Status
Not open for further replies.