Fireplace brick getting warm above insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wallpaper79

Jul 23, 2008
NL Canada
Just wondering if other insert owners find that the fireplace brick above the insert gets warm after extended burns.

Yep. I bet it got warm if ya burned enuff firewood when it was an open fireplace, too.
Adds to the radiant heat given off & takes a long time to cool.
If you can touch it & not come away with a blister on your skin, there's probably nothing to worry about...
If it's hot enuff that you DO lose skin, STOP BURNING IT!
There is something terribly wrong with your set-up that needs to be corrected ASAP.

Yes, and the hearth area infront of it too.

It's not raging hot, just warm.

Yeap, completely normal, thing of it as free heating of thermal mass, to be reintroduced to the room as the stove cools.
Like a mini masonry heater.

The first course of bricks over my stove inserted into the fireplace sits at around 235 degrees most of the time when the stove is cruising.

I did my fireplace with real whole fieldstones and boy does that hold/radiate the heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.