Fireplace chimney making banging noise in wind gusts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Actually now that I think about it, sound could be from the screw threads skipping through the holes as the pipe moves back and forth in the wind.

I dunno about that centering method but the fact that they used drywall screws tells me they don't really know what they're doing.
If that's the only thing stabilizing the pipe at the top, then I say, no wonder it's rattling!
I assume they added a flashing or at least a storm collar above that after taking the pictures, right?? !!!

There is a storm collar that's covering the gap, I have't had rain yet, but that part seems legit. They also covered screws with silicone, which is good (but silicone doesn't last forever). I don't know enough about the industry to understand if securing new pipe through the old one by using "Christmas tree" anchoring method is acceptable. But even if so, I would have expected a bolt with a bit of a surface contact at l, not a 1mm pin from a screw that could puncture the material. And I would assume that bolt would need to be secured somehow with nut on each end of the old pipe to reduce stress on the material. This seems like it won't last a single season. Am I overreacting?

The only other point of support for this 14.5 ft flue is the 3 load straps on the offset/return (which now at least have screws!!)

elbow screws.jpeg silicone cover.jpeg collar.jpeg