fireplace deemed unsafe to use -options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robj80

Burning Hunk
Oct 5, 2018
South West, CT
This is my first post. I know nothing about fireplaces or wood stoves or anything. Like a good homeowner (not like the people I bought the house from) I knew I should have my fireplace cleaned and inspected. I been in this house of horror for two years now. If it can go wrong it does and this is just the latest issue.

I had a reputable company come out and clean and inspect. I was told my chimney looks good but the hearth is pulling away and was not built to code. They said it is unsafe to use the fireplace and happily handed me the attached estimate for repairs. I was planning on getting a wood burning fireplace insert but now with this repair estimate that probably won't happen for a very long time. My question here really is do I have less expensive options. Would ripping out the hearth and having a wood burning stove installed be any less expensive?

Attachments

• est.jpg
    est.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 525
Can you post pictures of the fireplace, the hearth (showing the separation) and the underside of the hearth in the crawlspace or basement?

I will most certainly do that as soon as I get home. I am out of the house at the moment.

Agree that more pics would be very helpful. Sounds expensive, but can't say for sure without seeing the scope of the work to be done.

It sure is expensive. That is why I am here! Was looking for less expensive options since we wanted to get rid of the open fireplace anyway. While I love it and it heats the one room up well I wanted something more efficient like a wood burning insert or a wood stove installed instead.

Pics coming soon! Need to work extra to pay for all the problems I keep having with the house :D.

Reactions: bholler
It sure is expensive. That is why I am here! Was looking for less expensive options since we wanted to get rid of the open fireplace anyway. While I love it and it heats the one room up well I wanted something more efficient like a wood burning insert or a wood stove installed instead.

Pics coming soon! Need to work extra to pay for all the problems I keep having with the house :D.
It can be a real problem we have seen lots like it. And it should be fixed even for an insert but the price does seem high compared to what we usually do but i will wait for pics so i know more

Here is a few.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181005_172725.jpg
    MVIMG_20181005_172725.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 767
  • MVIMG_20181005_172356.jpg
    MVIMG_20181005_172356.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 756
  • MVIMG_20181005_172349.jpg
    MVIMG_20181005_172349.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 796
  • MVIMG_20181005_172209.jpg
    MVIMG_20181005_172209.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 741
I doesn't look that bad to me, if you're considering an insert and new SS chimney, but I'll let the experts render their verdict.

Ahhh so the whole face of the fireplace is dropping. In that case the price doesn't sound unreasonable. And no an isert wont change anything this is a structural problem with the masonry

is removing the faceplate and hearth all together an option? Then somehow installing a wood stove and running a pipe up through the chimney an option? If so is this a cheaper route? We wanted a wood stove or an insert. Seems insert is off the table.

is removing the faceplate and hearth all together an option? Then somehow installing a wood stove and running a pipe up through the chimney an option? If so is this a cheaper route? We wanted a wood stove or an insert. Seems insert is off the table.
It may be possible but i am not sure.

Get a second opinion from another local sweep or mason, who can actually put eyeballs on your entire problem.

Reactions: Ashful
We've had some members convert fireplaces into a free standing hearth. Do a search maybe you can get some info.

Are the small gaps where firebrick meets face of fireplace in pics above usually a sign of structural problems? Is there usually mortar there?

Well, I certainly have seen worse. Has this changed much since you moved in? I'd be tempted to install an insert with a hearth pad that meets the stove spec and watch the cracks. If no change over a few years then this might just be settling. If there is a notable change then It could be that the fireplace footing is inadequate for the soils below it. If that is the case I don't think the hearth repair is going to stop it from sinking further and it may be time to remove the whole works, seal up the wall and put a freestanding stove there.

I never looked that close but nothing seems different to me. I noticed slight gap on the outside before but never looked inside. I figured this was concrete shrinking a tiny bit.

When you say remove the whole works do you mean the chimney too or just all that is on the inside? This was what I was thinking. Could this be done for less than $7,500?

I already contacted a local fireplace store that does service and installations. They are also affiliated with a local mason. Being so late on a Saturday I don't expect to hear back until next week.

Before investing in hearth repairs I'd want to know that the chimney is not moving. Right now the gap is not significant and if it stays that way for the next several years, then the insert install may be ok. But if the whole chimney is settling then it could be pulling away from the house. That is a more serious issue. Faced with that dilemma one needs to decide what is the priority. Save the fireplace or remove it entirely. The first option could be very expensive. The second one could be a DIY project.

according to the first company the chimney was done top notch and the issue is the support for the hearth was not up to code. This is what they told us. I am getting the second opinion. I am a real novice when it comes to this stuff. Wish I wasn't because I feel quite lost. All I want from this ordeal is to come away with some way to burn wood and not drain my bank account.

I agree that the hearth support is not properly done for fireplace burning. Would you consider an insert installation in the fireplace? That may have easier hearth requirements and it will heat much better.

I agree that the hearth support is not properly done for fireplace burning. Would you consider an insert installation in the fireplace? That may have easier hearth requirements and it will heat much better.
An insert does not change the hearth requirements. That crack between the firebox and face is also a problem for an insert.

To me it really looks like the hearth extension and face are what is moving. If it was the chimney moving there would not be the same size crack on the outer edge of the face as there is in the firebox.

How so? Some inserts require ember protection only for the hearth. The tiny gap appears to be easily sealable.

Reactions: Ashful
I would prefer anything that would get this to cost less than $7,500. I have no issues ripping out the entire hearth and surround and getting a free standing stove. An insert was my plan when the I thought the fireplace was good. If an insert will not work could a free standing stove cost less? Assuming I don't go super expensive on the unit.

Can you post a picture of the whole fireplace and hearth?

How so? Some inserts require ember protection only for the hearth. The tiny gap appears to be easily sealable.
All inserts need to be put in a code compliant wood burning fireplace. Which means you need a compliant hearth. If you need more depth added that can be ember protection. And yes if it is no longer moving it absolutly could just be filled. But i gaurantee once an insert is put in there no one will notice if it opens up again. Which could be dangerous. I would get other opinions to try to find out if it is an ongoing structural issue or just old movement.

I would prefer anything that would get this to cost less than $7,500. I have no issues ripping out the entire hearth and surround and getting a free standing stove. An insert was my plan when the I thought the fireplace was good. If an insert will not work could a free standing stove cost less? Assuming I don't go super expensive on the unit.
Yes a freestanding stove could cost much less. But you still need to find out if anything is moving still and what it is.