fireplace design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

green77

Feb 10, 2006
I am looking for info about fireplace design. box sizes, flu sizes, what designs are more efficient? etc. this is for a new home and will not be used for the primary heat source. thanks for any info.

If you're going to go to the extreme of designing your own fireplace, you may as well do as Dylan said and get a Rumsford. The dimensions are already determined, and Rumsford fireplaces throw the most heat into the room of any open fireplace.

That said, I have a book around here with the fireplace math in it- If I can locate it later on tonight, I'll be certain to post up the ratios that must be followed.

If the fire place is to be built with exposure to outside walls It will not make any difference designing it
Might as well build a conventional one and suck the heat right out of your home. If in the interior, then
the Rumford incorperating brick motar stone to create mass storage of heat makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.