Fireplace doors thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srussell1021

Aug 3, 2015
Baltimore
I have a prefab fireplace with a fan built in. Doors are cast iron (seen in the pictures). My dilemma is are these doors meant to be closed when a fire is going? I know in almost all cases they recommend doors should be open but that some prefabs have doors that can be closed. It seems like there is a fireproof seal/gasket on the inside of the door (seen in pic) which would lead me to believe these doors can be closed when a fire is going. I haven't located make/model of the fireplace yet, its been tough finding it, I'm going to look behind the lower louver tonight as a last ditch effort to find the tag. Any thoughts you all could give me on these doors that you can gather from the pictures would be great. I just want to get the most out of this prefab this year before I upgrade to something better and more efficient next year. Thanks,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 152
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 119
Looks to me like they can be closed, but if the clear panels in the doors aren't PyroCeram or a similar
heat-resistant material, then I would burn the unit with the doors open.
If those panels are TEMPERED glass, they can EXPLODE if they get too hot.
I don't know of anyway to test that material for verification, unless there is a marking on it.

Looks to me like they can be closed, but if the clear panels in the doors aren't PyroCeram or a similar
heat-resistant material, then I would burn the unit with the doors open.
If those panels are TEMPERED glass, they can EXPLODE if they get too hot.
I don't know of anyway to test that material for verification, unless there is a marking on it.

I agree. I don't know if there is any clear cut way to test out if the doors can be closed or open other than to just do it and risk it or call out a professional and get their opinion in person. The glass feels and sounds (tapping and flicking of a fingernail) almost like a plastic/Plexiglas type of pane. Its not real high pitched when you tap something on it.

I suppose you could replace the glass with some similarly sized
steel plates & monitor the firebox temperatures with a thermometer
to ensure you are burning within a safe temperature range.
Just a thought, not recommending (or condoning) the action...

I suppose you could replace the glass with some similarly sized
steel plates & monitor the firebox temperatures with a thermometer
to ensure you are burning within a safe temperature range.
Just a thought, not recommending (or condoning) the action...

I plan on going pellet or wood burning insert next year so I don't see myself fiddling/modifying my current prefab.

I plan on going pellet or wood burning insert next year so I don't see myself fiddling/modifying my current prefab.
I am all but positive that is a zeroclearance stove the and doors are meant to be closed otherwise they would not have gaskets. Is there an air control anywhere on it? And i seriously doubt you are allowed to put any insert in that unit.

I am all but positive that is a zeroclearance stove the and doors are meant to be closed otherwise they would not have gaskets. Is there an air control anywhere on it? And i seriously doubt you are allowed to put any insert in that unit.

I don't believe there is any air control besides the built in fan that is just the flip of a light switch on the wall. There isn't any lever or knobs to open vents to regulate air flow or anything like that. Also aren't there inserts rated and made specifically for zero clearance units?

Also aren't there inserts rated and made specifically for zero clearance units?
Some say they can be installed in zero clearance units but hardly any zeroclearance units allow inserts to be installed in them. In order to meet code and maintain the ul listings you need both manufacturer's blessing. Have you pulled the fan covers and anything eelse you can to look for a label?

can you post more detailed pics of the unit including the interior?

Some say they can be installed in zero clearance units but hardly any zeroclearance units allow inserts to be installed in them. In order to meet code and maintain the ul listings you need both manufacturer's blessing. Have you pulled the fan covers and anything eelse you can to look for a label?

I am going to pull fan cover tonight, I never thought of that previously when I searched all over for the label, I will make sure to let you know if I find it.

ok hopefully we can help you figure it out

Ok I got some more pictures, let me know if you want anything specific. I couldn't find the make/model number, it seems like to remove the fan panel you have to unscrew a bunch of other stuff which I don't feel comfortable doing nor really have the time. What I did find by spotting a flashlight behind the bottom fan panel stuck on top was a sticker with a number, it seems to have a logo on it (maybe the brand of the fireplace?) let me know what you think, especially any more thoughts and opinions on if it's safe to shut these doors while the fire is burning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 112
ok now it looks more like a standard zeroclearance box. But those doors are not normal. did you look behind those screens for a tag that is where they usually are. I cant find a data base for warnock hersy numbers to tell what that unit is tested to

ok now it looks more like a standard zeroclearance box. But those doors are not normal. did you look behind those screens for a tag that is where they usually are. I cant find a data base for warnock hersy numbers to tell what that unit is tested to

I think I found it behind those screens (right in front of my face basically so I feel stupid) the tag looks pretty banged up and worn I can only read half of the writing, it seems like the model number is engraved. I attached a picture for your reference but I read the engraved text on the tag as R029217

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 96
I think I found it behind those screens (right in front of my face basically so I feel stupid) the tag looks pretty banged up and worn I can only read half of the writing, it seems like the model number is engraved. I attached a picture for your reference but I read the engraved text on the tag as R029217

I got more info by scraping away the black crap on the tag and can actually make out the model number as SP38A and fireplace brand is Superior out of Fullerton CA and Union City TN

It looks like it is just covered in creosote. I would try carefully scraping it off. But now i am pretty sure it is a standard zc unit just with some doors on the front that may or may not belong there. Try to clean up that tag and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

It looks like it is just covered in creosote. I would try carefully scraping it off. But now i am pretty sure it is a standard zc unit just with some doors on the front that may or may not belong there. Try to clean up that tag and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

I got more info by scraping away the black crap on the tag and can actually make out the model number as SP38A and fireplace brand is Superior out of Fullerton CA and Union City TN

www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/sp38a-1-pdf.155509/
Here is the manual

Great thanks. So I CAN leave the doors closed when the fire is going, it's actually the only way they reference using the unit I think. The door knobs apparently are supposed to have keys that are used to adjust air flow or something, can you read over the screen shot pic I attached and give me your opinion on if these keys are absolutely necessary or can I just burn with the doors completely closed and the fan running after I get the fire going.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 104
Status
Not open for further replies.