Fireplace Facelift and TV Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmateurDan

Oct 18, 2013
Virginia
We recently purchased a house, and in the house is this living room with a fireplace.

fireplace.jpg

I want to put our TV over the fireplace because there is no other suitable place to put the TV where it would make sense with respect to seating, room size, etc. I believe I am familiar with all of the arguments for not putting a TV over a fireplace, such as heat, viewing comfort, sports bar atmosphere, etc. I'd appreciate not getting replies about how having a TV over a fireplace is generally a bad idea.

My plan was to (1) tear down the paneling and the black granite surround and hearth, (2) cut out drywall sections and install TV wiring above and to the left of the fireplace down to the cabinets on the bottom left, (3) attach cement backerboard to the wall and put up a new mantle, (4) install TV mount, (5) install new stone hearth and lay stone veneer all the way up the wall, and (6) mount the TV.

My plans changed when, after I tore out the paneling and the granite surround, I discovered that the entire wall between the bookshelves (except for about an inch on either side) is solid masonry. I'll try to attach a current picture later, but imagine the picture above, but instead of paneling between the bookshelves there is drywall; instead of a black granite surround there is red brick; and instead of a granite hearth are partially removed 6" ceramic tiles and a partially exposed concrete hearth extension.

Now I'm thinking that I would like to build a floating wall to cover up the drywall, on which I can hang cement board, stone veneer, a mantle, and the TV. It would also make wiring a lot easier. From looking at the international residential building code, it looks like I just need to keep the correct clearances from the fireplace opening. I'm thinking of two ways to do this.

First, I'm thinking that I could frame out a false wall and put it 2" away from the current wall (maybe using 2" furring strips further away from the fireplace opening), then I could have cement board running perpendicular to the red brick around the fireplace opening, with the new stone veneer running flush to the inside of the fireplace opening. This would mean making the fireplace opening about 6" deeper (6" of stone veneer leading to current fireplace brick). Looking at diagram 1001.11 of the code makes me think this setup would be okay (cement board and stone okay to touch fireplace face, with 2" air buffer before combustible framing).

Second, I'm thinking that I could put in a new layer of bricks directly on top of the current fireplace face bricks, then frame a new wall all the way around the new brick face.

I wonder with either approach if the hearth extension can bear the weight of a new wall and how I could fasten such a new wall down to the floor. The hearth extension is made from what seems to be a pretty soft concrete (as I have pulled up the 6" ceramic tiles under the granite, the mortar on the tiles pulls up a layer of concrete). Also, there is about a 1/2" gap between the hearth extension "slab" and the drywall where there is just bits of rubble, if anything. There are floor joists at the extreme ends right below the edges of the cabinets. Perhaps I could put down a new hearth stone and drill into it to attach the wall?

I'm curious to hear thoughts on which, if either, of these approaches makes sense to anyone who knows better. If neither approach works, please tell me why and if you can think of a better approach (taking into consideration reasonable budgetary limitations).

Thank you!

The picture you posted is taken from too great a distance for me to make out any detail of the fireplace and its hearth. If you can post a photo from closer up maybe some members will be able to offer some comments. Good luck.

Welcome. It's a shame that the paneling was removed. That looks quite nice. There is no need for the cement board behind the tv, it is certainly no more flammable than the wood. What will help with the tv is heat shielding. That can be a clever mantel that provides a definitive thermal break far enough out to that little or no heat rises upward past the tv. I'd get the wiring done in a metal channel for heat shielding, then restore the paneling and put a nice 8" deep mantel there. If you want to later put in an insert in the fireplace consider putting in a mantel that is non-combustible. This could be made of stone, metal, etc.

The paneling looked better from far away. Looked cheap up close.

Here are some better pictures. Again, my concerns are mostly with respect to clearances to combustible material and weight distribution, but I appreciate all suggestions. Thanks!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

That helps. Looks like the black granite was glued to the brick. Not a good idea. Are you keeping the upper raised paneling? That is what I was referring to. Is this where the TV will be going? Maybe a simple sketch or two of your ideas

That helps. Looks like the black granite was glued to the brick. Not a good idea. Are you keeping the upper raised paneling? That is what I was referring to. Is this where the TV will be going? Maybe a simple sketch or two of your ideas

Actually, the black granite was glued to tile, which was glued to marble, which was glued to the brick.

I'm tearing down all the paneling. It can't hold any weight. That is where the tv will go.

Here's a sketch of the proposed frame.
image.jpg
The plan is essentially the same, whether to float the whole frame and false wall 2" from the chimney wall and only have cement board and stone touching the fireplace brick, or to put the frame directly against the wall and stack a new layer of brick on the fireplace face so no framing is touching the fireplace brick (then putting stone on the new brick too).

Does that help? Thank you.

Yep, I'm with you now. Using Durock NexGen will provide some insulation between the fireplace masonry and the TV. If you go that route I would remove the drywall, route the wiring through the studs, then cover it all with Durock. That will give you a good substrate for the stone.

Or, consider attaching hat metal to the wall or framing with metal studs. That will create an airspace. It all depends on how much buildup you want in front of the current stud structure.

After the wall is re-covered I still would consider putting in a non-combustible mantel. At some point you may want to derive some real heat from the fireplace. In that case the solution will probably be a nice insert.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm with you now. Using Durock NexGen will provide some insulation between the fireplace masonry and the TV. If you go that route I would remove the drywall, route the wiring through the studs, then cover it all with Durock. That will give you a good substrate for the stone.

Or, consider attaching hat metal to the wall or framing with metal studs. That will create an airspace. It all depends on how much buildup you want in front of the current stud structure.

After the wall is re-covered I still would consider putting in a non-combustible mantel. At some point you may want to derive some real heat from the fireplace. In that case the solution will probably be a nice insert.

What about the weight of the false wall on the hearth extension and fastening the wall down? Any thoughts or concerns there?

Not really. If the Durock is fastened per directions at one screw every 8" with their screws, it will do fine. The sheer strength of these screws is quite high.

I have some doubts about whether it's a good idea to put wood framing around that fireplace opening (as your drawing seems to indicate), if you're planning on ever burning in it or adding a wood burning insert to it.

I would suggest using steel stud framing then there is no question or concern. Its fairly cheap at Lowes or HD and for the small area involved

The idea would be to keep any thing that can burn away from the opening, maybe model it on this, no closer than the wood is to this fireplace opening, but check your codes.
Fireplace.gif
Fireplace.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.